Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » help, please

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: help, please
-arsyn-
Neophyte
Member # 27744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -arsyn-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hopefully scarleteen can save me once again....

in the past week i've been taking my birth control pill (Desogen) really sporadically. sometimes more than 10 hours late. last night i missed another one, and had unprotected sex this morning. [not my idea..]

i haven't taken this pill that i've missed yet because i read that you can take Desogen as an emergency contraceptive, but no intructions are clear on what exactly i need to do.

do i take the one i've missed, THEN however many i need to take for EC? how many do i take?

Posts: 35 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
According to this site, Desogen is not a birth control pill that can be used as EC. At least it's not listed.

You can call your doctors office or pharmacist to find out if it can be used as EC and how many/when you should take it.

If you don't want to be having unprotected sex don't do it. Stand up for yourself. While your partner should care about the concequences you face re: pregnancy, he either doesn't or doesn't understand them. You need to explain this to him. If he still pressures you for unsafe sex? I'd ditch him, real fast.

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-arsyn-
Neophyte
Member # 27744

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -arsyn-     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you for the reply.

this website--
http://www.drugs.com/cons/Desogen.html#GXX01

makes it sound like you can use it for that, but after reading it more carefully it sounds like they might be talking about something else.. i don't know. i took two; i'll just have to take two more in 12 hours and hope it works. i think it's too late to take Plan B now that i've taken these two pills already.

Posts: 35 | From: Oregon | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's not too late for EC for you, as your risk was only this morning. taking something else that isn't EC doesn't make taking actual EC an impossibility.

I've just double-checked a sound EC reference for you, and Desogen is not listed as for use for EC there either. So, I would suggest going and obtaining Plan B.

Don't take two more of your BCPs. It's of no use to you: get EC.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-arsyn-
Neophyte
Member # 27744

well i was thinking it would make me sick because these pills contain one of the hormones EC has in it.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Generally, EC doesn't exactly make you feel hunky-dory, period.

But being pregnant, no matter what you do with a pregnancy, is going to make you feel sick, too.

But EC should not be a danger to you because of your BCPs. You may feel more nauseated than someone taking EC who has not also taken BCPs, and may have stronger side effects, but nothing dangerous.

Ultimately, if you do not wish to become pregnant, I'd advise you to get EC. If you have questions about if it's okay for you to take, you can call your doctor who prescribed your BCPs (who you'll likely need to call to get an EC scrip anyway) or ask your pharmacist.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.