Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Am I pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Am I pregnant?
lethologica8
Neophyte
Member # 30666

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lethologica8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I lost my virginity a week ago to my boyfriend, but certainly wasn't planning on it and we used the coitus interruptus method. I told him I wanted him to use a condom and on day 11 of my cycle we had sex, but we had sex twice and he only had one condom so we used withdrawl the second time. Now of course I realize how rediculous that was since his precum contained sperm the second time. Day 14 we had sex and the condom broke as he was pulling out but I'm quite certain some leaked into the opening of my vagina. I know we're both STD and STI free and so that's not my concern, but I keep finding reasons to both be extremely worried about pregnancy and say "oh of course not" My cycle isn't very regular, meaning that I have it every month but it can be between 24-28 days long, so I dont know when I would have been ovulating. Im 11 days from getting my period if in fact Im on a 28 day cycle. Im also not on the pill. How much do I need to worry? How soon can I take a pregnancy test?
Posts: 7 | From: College Station, TX | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
How long has it been since your risk?

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lethologica8
Neophyte
Member # 30666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lethologica8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Its been 6 days since the first one and 3 days since the second
Posts: 7 | From: College Station, TX | Registered: Sep 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A pregnancy test will be accurate 10-14 days after the risk. We also recommend verifying the results a week after with a second pregnancy test.

In the future, if you have unprotectes sex or the condoms breaks and you do no wish to become pregnant, you can obtain Emergency Contraception up to 120 hours after the risk.

As far as ovulation goes...the only way to know when a person is ovulating is to chart the cervical mucus and the basal temperature for 3 cycles or more, at least. In any case, doing so is best for women trying to get pregnant.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it has only been three days since the last, you can get emeregncy contraception NOW and drastically reduce your pregnancy risk.

This, by the way:

quote:
I told him I wanted him to use a condom and on day 11 of my cycle we had sex, but we had sex twice and he only had one condom so we used withdrawl the second time.
concerns me.

Why did your boyfriend not respect your boundaries?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lethologica8
Neophyte
Member # 30666

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lethologica8     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I never seem to know how to say "no" to people, I suppose I wasn't forceful enough about the issue...He's also very pushy. I know, not the type of relationship I want to be in but I can't seem to get out of it, and now with this....
Heather
Member # 3

One important part of sexual readiness -- choosing to have sex at a time you know it will be as healthy for you as possible -- is the ability to make, set and enforce boundaries with other people. If that's a real problem for you right now, it might be smart to step back and wait for sexual partnership until it is something you feel more able to do.

Of course, half of that equation is having a partner who respects boundaries when you set them: even for good boundary-setters, a coercive partner is someone with whom a lot of this is moot. And if you can't even get out of a relationship you don't want to be in with such a person, that compounds the problem, obviously.

I'm not sure how this scenario makes getting out harder, though?

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

lethologica8
Neophyte
Member # 30666

It just to me (a total pushover) seems like one more reason to hang in there for a bit longer. That's not sensible or really logical, I know.
Heather
Member # 3

What seems like one more reason? Sorry, I just don't get what the what is here.

Seems to me that hanging in longer means it's likely you'll have this happen again.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

lethologica8
Neophyte
Member # 30666

Yeah, I told you it didnt' make any sense. I've thought about what it is, and its just that I usually give in if people are persistent enough, whether its hanging out with someone or going somewhere, etc. He just doesn't give in, if he has an idea he will push it until I do give in, even if it takes weeks. That's what makes it so hard to break up with him because I've tried, he just promises to change and does for a while and then we're back in the same pattern, and if I do break up with him, no more chances, I dont think he'll give in. Also, I think that because I'm not a very forceful person he thinks that Im asking for him to convince me.
lethologica8
Neophyte
Member # 30666

Also, I have had a sore throat on and off and some allergies for a few weeks now and have been feeling run down from school and work starting up again this past week. emotional and physical stresses such as these have a negative impact on fertility, right? Im only applying these principles from how it works with livestock (I'm a animal science major with a concentration in reproductive physiology) but I think I'm correct in doing so, how much would that lower my chances of being pregnant, do you think?
Heather
Member # 3

Per your first post of the last two, you've just listed exactly why you're with someone who isn't emotionally safe to be with, and isn't physically safe, either, at least when it comes to your body and sex.

Breaking up isn't something both parties have to agree to. If you do not want to be with him anymore, he needs to respect that and walk away. If he will not, you are not in a relationship: you are in slavery, gal.

Really, if you are worried about this risk, go get emeregncy contraception. Women can have cold and be stressed out and still be fertile, and rendering this an intellectual impossiblity doesn't mean jack to your uterus. So, effectively, none of these things should be considered to reduce your risk.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.