Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » hormones

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: hormones
amazed88
Neophyte
Member # 25998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amazed88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello
my period is extremely irregular. it kind of worries me whenever i dont get it. its not like i have sex or anything, it just worries me a bit.
so my question is that if you take the EC pill, could it regulate your hormones and you can get your period?.
my friend took the morning after pill and got her period almost right away, like 2 days after.
would it be dangerous to my health to take these pills?
oh and i already went to the doctor to find out about my irregularness, and she did some blood tests and stuff and said everything was fine
but she didnt reccomend anything
she only said to go back if it stayed irregular.
i've had my period for a while, since the summer of grade 6. and i learned that it should only stay irregular for the first year or two.
thank you in advance for your response =)

Posts: 23 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emergency contraception makes no guarantee for anything regarding your period. Your friend may have gotten hers, but that doesn't mean you will. Everyone reacts differently to EC. It would not be wise to take it for regulating your period.

For that, you can talk to your doctor about hormonal birth control. After all, EC is a concentrated dose of birth control pills.

Also, women don't really "even out" for about five years after menarche. Heck, I've had my period now for eight years and am experiencing some wonkiness. [Smile]

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
By the by, there are very real ways to make your system as regular as possible, including your adrenal system.

And they're no-drugs needed. For a lot of women, simply making sure you stay active, and regularly, that you eat healthfully -- as a regular, daily habit -- that you get enough sleep, every day, that you stay hydrated, every day, and that you manage your stresses can make a BIG difference in the regularity of your periods and flow, and your comfort with them.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amazed88
Neophyte
Member # 25998

Icon 1 posted      Profile for amazed88     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
do you know exactly how EC works?
i know that it prevents the sperm from coming in contact with the egg
but what do the hormones in the pill do?
if you dont know, thats ok, but i was just asking, cause i cant really find it anywhere on the web or in the package.

Posts: 23 | Registered: Nov 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emergency Contraception is essentially a very large dose of hormonal birth control, so it acts in a similar way.

What it does is it prevents you from ovulating, if you have not yet ovulated (and if there is no egg, there's no way to become pregnant, hence it prevents pregnancy) and it also thickens your cervical mucus in a way that it makes it more difficult for sperm to get to the egg at all.

backupyourbirthcontrol.org has some great information about EC if you want to know a little bit more. [Smile]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amazed88
Neophyte
Member # 25998

thanks for the info =)
sorry i just have one more question;

if you think precum may have gotten in your vagina and you just wanna be safe.. is it ok to take the pill? like if none actually got in there.. its still ok to use right?

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, EC is safe to use just-in-case. [Smile]

(And if you think about, even if you had a really high pregnancy risk, say your partner ejaculated inside of you or a condom broke after he had ejaculated, EC is taken to prevent ovulation so there is no chance of you becoming pregnant. But obviously, not every single person who has ever taken EC would have ovulated and become pregnant from their risk had they NOT taken EC - you just simply don't want to take that risk because you can't know for sure. So, there is really no difference to your body if you would have become pregnant or not, or how great the risk was or wasn't. It effects your body the same regardless, and is safe to take, regardless. Make sense? [Smile] )

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
amazed88
Neophyte
Member # 25998

yes very much so [Smile]
thank you so much for all the help.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.