Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » please help me!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: please help me!!
robert_basketball
Neophyte
Member # 30441

Icon 11 posted      Profile for robert_basketball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
hello ,
my girlfriend and i have been having safe sex for quite a while now with no complications but this monday we were having safe sex with a condom.

i comed when the codom was still on but sex continued for approx 5 minutes.
after this we realised that the condom was not there anymore!
the codom was quite far into her vagina.
that was on monday, she was 7 days away from ovulation.

i was wondering what are the risks for us.
what are are her chances of becoming pregnant?

please help

Posts: 9 | From: ireland | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your girlfriends chances of pregnancy are quite high.

If she does not wish to become pregnant, she needs to get Emergency Contraception. EC is only effective up to 120hrs after the risk, so if this is something she'd interested in, she needs to move fast.

In the future, you need to stop having intercourse after you ejaculate or you risk this very thing happening again. The penis goes flaccid, the condom is no longer snug and the risks of failure increase ... Putting your partner at risk for pregnancy and you both at risk for STIs.

If you have both not been tested for STIs already, you need to do so now.

Check it out -- Emergency Contraception

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robert_basketball
Neophyte
Member # 30441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robert_basketball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
ok thank you
what makes the risk so high?

Posts: 9 | From: ireland | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robert_basketball
Neophyte
Member # 30441

Icon 1 posted      Profile for robert_basketball     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if she has not started ovulating and the sperm wont survive in her vagina for more than 6 hours
why are the risks so high?

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The condom came off after you had ejaculated and remained inside her vagina- also, unless she has been charting her basal body temperature and cervical mucus, and has been doing so for at least a few months, there is no way she can know when exactly she will ovulate (and even then, irregularity can happen, so she may ovulate sooner than usual, or she may have ovulated the day of the risk, etc. you never know).

So, you have had high pregnancy and STI risks.

Also, your information is off- sperm can survive in the vagina for up to 5-7 days.

[ 08-24-2006, 02:55 PM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Because:

a) Unless she's charting her basal body temperature and monitoring her cervical mucus daily, there's no way of telling with any precision when she ovulates;

and:

b) sperm can survive in a "friendly" environment like the vagina for up to 5 days or so, hanging around in case an egg comes along.

So there is a serious risk here.

--------------------
"Do not be daunted by the enormity of the world's grief. Do justly, now. Love mercy, now. Walk humbly, now. You are not obligated to complete the work, but neither are you free to abandon it." - the Talmud

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robert_basketball
Neophyte
Member # 30441

ok so what is the best contacerptive method i should go for tomorrow?
taking in note this happened monday and tomorros is friday?

robert_basketball
Neophyte
Member # 30441

we have many family planning centers and if the rsk are so high then durely she will be given what she needs without too much attention to age
she is 15

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your girlfriend STILL has time to obtain Emergency Contraception if she does not wish to become pregnant, we would recomend she seeks that out asap.

As for contraception? Condoms are high effective if you use them correctly. That means getting a size that fits properly, using plenty of extra condom-safe lubricant, and withdrawling AFTER ejaculation by holding onto the base of the condom as you withdrawl to prevent it from slipping.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
robert_basketball
Neophyte
Member # 30441

so it is not to late for the ecp? is there anything else we should do?
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

No, by getting EC TOMORROW, it will not be too late, so try and get in to do that. If you are getting the EC from one of the family planning centers, you should also BOTH schedule full STI screenings for about a month from now, and then also follow-up screenings about 6 months after.

A clinic can also help you with other options you can use as back-up to condoms, such as hormonal methods if she is interested in taking them. Hormonal methods are not automatically effective, however, so if she wants to start using one, you should rely on it being fully effective until after she has used it for one full cycle. In the meantime you should continue to use condoms until you have both received two full STI screenings.

(Also, you say she is 15? In Ireland, the age of consent for sexual activity is 17, this means that she cannot legally consent to sexual activity. If you are over the age of consent, you could end up in serious legal trouble if you continue your sexual relationship)

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer

robert_basketball
Neophyte
Member # 30441

but will this affect her getting the ecp?
i did not know that because i know a lot of people who are have gone through smialar situations , actually most of my friends.

thnak you for bringing that to my attention

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

No, her age will not stop her from getting EC at all. The only trouble that really comes up in terms of age of consent is for the partner over the AOC, clinics would not prohibit anyone from getting the sexual health care they need because of their age.

(And I'm glad I could bring it to your attention- a lot of times AOC laws are simply unknown to people or just not followed, but the consequences can be vary real, such as jail time, fines, and being labled a sex offender for the rest of your life. It's usually best to hold off on sexual activity until both partners are over the age of consent, for both their well-being [Smile] )

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer

robert_basketball
Neophyte
Member # 30441

ok thank you so much for your help.

i will take her up tomorrow to get it.
will i be needed to be there with her because she would rather got o get it with her best friend?

also can she get ecp in case this ever arises again so that she can take them straight away?

robert_basketball
Neophyte
Member # 30441

please answer i promise its the last question
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please be patient. We are all volunteers here, answering questions on our free time.

You will not need to go w/ your girlfriend to get the EC.

I'm not sure if they will prescribe an extra set of EC incase this happens again. Your girlfriend can ask her doctor.

--------------------
Nursing is a work of heart!
~ unknown

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.