Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Paranoid

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Paranoid
Cari
Neophyte
Member # 30306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cari     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Any sort of advice would be extremely helpful.

I'm on my second month of ortho tricyclen lo. I've not skipped a pill and I generally take it at 10:30/11 give or take a few nights that I'm out with friends. I always take it well within the 6 hour window. Tonight my boyfriend and I had sex, but he never ejaculated inside me (we didn't use a condom). I know that precum is always an issue, but from another website, http://ec.princeton.edu/ The EC website, they say that
"The chance of pregnancy is probably extremely low. Three small studies found no motile sperm in preejaculatory fluid, but that is all the evidence there is. However, HIV can be detected in preejaculatory fluid."

During my first month of tricyclen we had done the same thing a few times with no pregnancy following. I realize that it is a lot like Russian roulette. Should I be concerned?

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Your risk of pregnancy is low; much more significant in this case is the risk of STI transmission. If you and your boyfriend are not up to date with your screenings, you'll want to get on that.

For future reference, just a couple of things: it's not guaranteed that pre-ejaculate will not contain sperm, and it's always best to work on the assumption that it does, and practice safer sex. As well, there's generally a 2-3 hour window in which you can take your pill and have it still be considered on time - not 6 hours. If you're finding it difficult to take it at the same time every day, you may want to look into another method such as the ring or patch that doesn't need to be remembered every day.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just to clarfiy- the time in which you take your birth control is more technically a three hour window in either direction. Just to avoid confusion, you only have about three hours later than when you took your pill the night before at the latest to take your pill to still consider yourself fully covered. (So, if you took it at 10:30 one night, you wouldn't want to take it any later than 1:30, and even then it's best to take it as soon as possible)

When you're taking hormonal birth control correctly, pre-ejaculate OR ejaculate are really not issues as far as pregnancy. Your risk isn't either increased if he ejaculates inside of you, or decreased if he doesn't.

Pre-ejaculate CAN contain sperm, and again, it's always better safe than sorry, which is why protection should always be used. But again, taking hormonal birth control correctly is highly effective in preventing pregnancy.

Having sex without condoms, however, still presents STI risks for both you and your partner. Had both of you received full STI screenings BEFORE starting to engage in sexual activity without the use of condoms?

(Mindmeld, I'm followig karybu around tonight it seems!)

[ 08-14-2006, 02:09 AM: Message edited by: dailicious ]

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Love us? Want to keep us in your lives and hearts? Give what you can!

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cari
Neophyte
Member # 30306

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Cari     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We are both comepletely and positively STI free. I wouldn't have done it otherwise.

I receive my BC through a teen clinic and when I attended the required class before they explained that there was a 6 hour window. They never said anything about on either side though...

Should I look into the ECP?

[ 08-14-2006, 02:48 AM: Message edited by: Cari ]

Posts: 4 | From: USA | Registered: Aug 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dailicious     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What have your pill taking habits been like recently? If they have been really sporadic recently, it may not be a bad idea to check with a clinic.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer

Posts: 3382 | From: Denver, Colorado | Registered: Mar 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Cari
Neophyte
Member # 30306

Not sporadic. The worst I've done is like 1 AM rather than 11 PM.

I suppose I could drive to the clinic tomorrow and get an opinion.

dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 22471

If you've never been later than 1 am, I actually wouldn't sweat it. Since EC is essentially just a very large dose of hormonal birth control, it's actually probably LESS effective on its own than your birth control has been, so taking it wouldn't really have a point.

I'd just recomend from now on that you try and work out being a bit more exact with your pill taking schedule. Are you able to take your pill pack with you in a bag or purse? That way if you're out with friends you can still take it at the same time.

--------------------
Jean
aka dailicious
Scarleteen Volunteer

Cari
Neophyte
Member # 30306

Yup. I always carry it in my purse. I usually have an alarm set on my cell phone to alert me, but lately it hasn't been going off and I won't notice till an hour or so later. I'm defiantely going to work at becoming more exact or look into antoher method.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.