Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pap smear results...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pap smear results...
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina_brown04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I went for a pap smear on the 24th and I just got my results and here's what it said:

Please call the office to schedule a follow-up pap smear in 3 months.

Does that mean something is wrong?
Its too late to call them but I'm going to do it first thing in the morning. I usually get a letter saying that I had a normal pap smear.
She did put me on a different birth control pill so is that the reason?? I'm worried now. If something was wrong they would have put it on the paper right???

Posts: 217 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Call them in the morning.

But chances are that yes, if they want a repeat in the morning, you may have had an abnormal pap smear. Mind, those can happen for lots of reasons, including when you're in perfect health.

So, just call in when you can and ask for the reason.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nina_brown04     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What could cause an abnormal pap?
Posts: 217 | From: Virginia | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Things like having a bit of a yeast or bacterial infection, or engaging in sexual activity less than 24 hours before your exam can all cause an abnormal result.

There's no need to worry until you find out what the reason for the abnormal pap was - call your doctor's office tomorrow, and they'll be able to explain to you why you need a follow-up.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Well I called and the only thing they told was they found "abnormal cells".

?????????

She told me not to worry though.

(I talked to a nurse by the way)

Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay.

In the interim, if I recall, your obyfriend doesn't use condoms during sex with you, so is HE up-to-date with his STI screenings? if he isn't, now would be a good time for him to do that.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Yeah he had a full screening not too long ago.

You think its std related?

Heather
Member # 3

There's no prediciting that, but as that is one reason for an abmornal pap, it's something to be sure you've got all your bases covered with.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

nina_brown04
Activist
Member # 17973

Oh ok. I understand.

Question about HPV.

I heard that there isn't a test to screen men for this. Is that true?

He had a full std screening and they said everything was fine and he was negative for everything. Would that include HPV?

(He had the screening before we started having unprotected sex)

I have started to have a little off and on itch so maybe I have another mild yeast infection. Discharge looks ok though so I don't know.

[ 08-10-2006, 11:18 AM: Message edited by: nina_brown04 ]

Heather
Member # 3

HPV is very difficult to screen for in men -- not AS difficult in women, but also similarly iffy. A visual exam (for wart strains) and a pap smear (for all strains) is the only way to screen right now, and it's fairly nonspecific. Often, patients will only be told they have HPV if they wind up with cervical cancer, or have abnormal cervical cells that can't be explained by anything else.

With men, again, you have a visual exam for warts, though those which aren't external aren't able to be seen. And that's about it: no way yet to screen for most of the strains of HPV which do NOT create warts.

But since, as I recall, he only had the one screening before you two started going without, it'd be sage for him to get a second screening six months after his first.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.