Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » STI testing... please help.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STI testing... please help.
Monotonous
Activist
Member # 29530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monotonous         Edit/Delete Post 
I know that my boyfriend and I are at risk for having STIs. We used to have unprotected sex back when we weren't informed about safer sex, and it was only until a few weeks ago that I found out unprotected oral sex can pass STDs. He had a partner before me, and they had unprotected oral sex once. I had a partner before him, and we had unprotected oral sex a few times.

Neither of us have ever experienced a cold sore. Is herpes the only STI that can be passed through the mouth? Also, and I know a lot of STIs don't have symptoms, neither of us have had anything abnormal happen in our genital area since we've been sexually active, except for one thing. For a very long time, I don't remember when it started but I don't remember a time when it wasn't like this... It "burns", I guess, very very slightly when I pee. I don't even know if it burns or hurts or if it's just a different feeling on that side of my urethra, that's how minor it is. It happens only sometimes, but is this something to worry about? I've had an internal exam, about two months ago, and she said I looked very healthy and that I'm fine.

I really, really want to get tested for STIs. I was at Planned Parenthood last week, but it was so busy that my grandmother told me just to go in, get the BC pills and come out so we could leave. She doesn't think I'm at risk for STIs because, as far as she knows, he and I only "had sex once" and we both virgins before then.

I don't know how to get a screening. I really need one. This is starting to really stress me out, and when I'm stressed about one thing I get worried about everything else and now I'm scared about pregnancy again. He and I are now abstaining from any sexual activity until I am on birth control. I'm so anxious to start it, but I know me worrying is only going to delay my period more. I can't stop thinking about all of the bad things that could happen if I had to tell my grandmother that I was sexually active with my last partner. I was only 13! She would take away my BC pills to make sure I wouldn't have sex again. I don't know what to do. I don't want to go blind. Or become infertile. Or have a baby at 15.

Help me...

[ 07-06-2006, 11:58 PM: Message edited by: Monotonous ]

Posts: 59 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DarkChild717
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 139

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarkChild717     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
All STDs can be passed through the mouth. Anywhere there is a place for outside pathogens to enter the body, there's a chance to catch them. This is why we really stress safer sex for all activities.

Good for you for realizing now that you need to be proactive about your health!

Getting a screening is fairly simple. Call up your local clinic or Planned Parenthood, set up an appointment, and tell them you want an STD screening. Go in, they'll take a urine sample and a blood sample, and you'll get your results within two weeks, max.

Check out Testing, Testing… for more info.

Also, from the tone of your post, I'd also recommend reading Ready or Not? The Readiness Checklist. Your grandmother cannot limit your access to healthcare, rest assured, but it may mean you having to pay for it yourself.

--------------------
Caylin, Scarleteen Volunteer
Love Scarleteen? Donations keep us around for you. So give a little! (Or a lot. Whatever works for you.)

Posts: 2789 | From: The Evergreen State | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Monotonous
Activist
Member # 29530

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Monotonous         Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for replying. I was freaking out when I wrote that, which is probably why I sounded scared out of my wits.

I talked to my grandmother and I'm going to get tested. Everything's okay.

I did read the Testing, Testing... article shortly after I wrote that and answered a few of my own questions. I know now that I'm not ready for sex until I know I have the money and easily accessibility to birth control, EC, and testing. Right now, considering I don't drive (that was the main concern), it's not very convenient, so I'm going celibate.

Thanks again!

Posts: 59 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.