Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » A few questions

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: A few questions
sovereign
Neophyte
Member # 28091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sovereign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a few questions in regards to.. well a few things.

We used the condom last friday, and two days later I took my first pill, for the first time. However, the day I took that pill,was not the first day of my period. (due today)

sorry for the details but I need you to understand the timing thing.

long story short, how effective is the pill if you take it before you're period starting day?

Can I stop taking the pill? Will I be protected from pregnancy if I do? it's been 6 days since intercourse, and my body isn't reacting too well with the side affects (fainting in school)

Say i didn't plan to have sex in a while, how long after sex do you need to take the pill for?

Is it normal for your period to come late when you're on the pill? how late?

I would be ever so grateful for your answers, and I hope I have made some sense. The only way for me to get peace of mind is to get answers from proffessionals, and here seemed a good place to start. [Smile]

[ 03-25-2006, 04:26 PM: Message edited by: sovereign ]

Posts: 17 | From: Wales | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you took your first pill two days after you had intercourse, it's not going to prevent pregnancy from happening, especially if you didn't start it at the right point in your cycle.

However, since you did use a condom, that should prevent pregnancy. (If the condom ripped, broke, tore, or came off during intercourse, let us know so that we can advise you about that.)

If you want the pill to work as birth control, you have to start the pill following the directions given to you with the medication and you need to take one pill per day until all of the pills are done. Then, if you want it to keep being effective as birth control, you have to start another packet of pills. You can't start and stop taking the pill depending on when you had sex; you have to go through a full cycle of pills in order to be protected.

If you are having serious side effects, including fainting, you certainly can stop taking the pill right now, since using a condom prevented pregnancy and the pill wouldn't be effective in the first two days of its use. Since the pill contains hormones that changes the timing of your menstrual cycle, you may find that your period comes early, late, or not at all this month. I would advise you to get checked out by a medical professional, fainting isn't a common or normal side effect.

Good luck! I hope you find some peace of mind. [Smile]

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sovereign
Neophyte
Member # 28091

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sovereign     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, yes you have already, thankyou!
I have now enough peace of mind just getting it off my chest, but will have a word with either the sex health woman in school, or the pharmacist.
Thankyou again, everyone who uses this site owe you more than anything for all of your advice.

Posts: 17 | From: Wales | Registered: Mar 2006  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.