Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnant?
sugarbean08
Neophyte
Member # 19769

Icon 4 posted      Profile for sugarbean08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I just finished my second month switching BC pills from Ortho Lo to Desogen (so that I can suppress), and I suppressed between my first and second month on Desogen. I had a regular period between the last pack of Ortho and the first pack of Desogen. But now I am on the placebos from the second pack, and I have been since Tuesday, and nothing is happening!!!! What does this mean? I am very careful about taking my pills, and there were only a couple of morning over Thanksgiving break that I slept in and took them 3 or 4 hours later than usual! (I usually take them around 730 am, and who can wake up after turkey at that time!?) I am feeling some of the symptoms that usually come with my periods (achy back & swollen/achy groin), but no bleeding or discharge of any kind! Please help, I am so worried! Thank you...
Posts: 7 | From: Raleigh, NC USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not sure i understand what you mean by "I suppressed between my first and second month on Desogen". I'm assuming you meant that you didn't take your placebos and started right into the second pack ...?

If that's the case, this could be the reason that your period hasn't come yet. Switching pills can cause your hormones to get all out of whack for a bit, and this can cause a little bit of irregularity. Not taking your pills properly (ie, not taking your placebo pills or waiting a week before you start another pack) can also cause this kind of irregularity.

Are you using any back up methods of birth control?

I would suggest taking a pregnancy test before you start another pack of pills and / or calling your doctor and asking him/her what they'd suggest doing.

(I just realized that Tuesday was only a few days ago ... No need to worry just yet. Just wait it out and see what happens. Everything above applies if your period doesn't come before you're due to start your new pack of pills)

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 12-02-2004).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sugarbean08
Neophyte
Member # 19769

Icon 9 posted      Profile for sugarbean08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
we aren't using any backup methods, not even pulling out.
I still haven't had any kind of discharge, but I still feel like I should be having my period. I go on to the new pack on Tuesday, so when should I take the test if I don't start by then?

Posts: 7 | From: Raleigh, NC USA | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LilBlueSmurf
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1207

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LilBlueSmurf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy tests are accurate the first day of your missed period and/or ten days after the last risk. A test now should be accurate.

However ... If it were me (and it's not, so really it's up to you), i think i'd wait until Sunday or Monday. If you get a negative test and still no period by Tues, call your doctor (or a sexual health clinic, or planned parenthood) and ask if, given your circumstances, you should still start your new pack.

There's still a chance that this is just your body adjusting to the hormones. Try not to panic yet (or at all ... )

[This message has been edited by LilBlueSmurf (edited 12-03-2004).]

Posts: 7168 | From: Ontario | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dotta
Activist
Member # 20900

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dotta     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i would suggest just taking the pregnancy test and not stressing yourself out about it. it's better to know as soon as possible!
Posts: 76 | Registered: Nov 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
dotta, I appreciate that you're trying to help, but we ask that only staff and advocates post replies in this forum.
Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sugarbean08
Neophyte
Member # 19769

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sugarbean08     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I guess that I just wasn't giving it enough time, because I started last night. I just can't believe that it took 4 days of placebos for anything to start! But everything is normal now - cramps and misery...check! I'm sorry to worry before I really needed to, but I appreciate LilBlueSmurf's & dotta's help and concern!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.