Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Waking up to not want to wake up.

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Waking up to not want to wake up.
MercilessSin
Neophyte
Member # 18103

Icon 4 posted      Profile for MercilessSin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
About two weeks ago, I missed my period. At first, I thought it was nothing to worry about, but as the days trudged by, I started to get a bit worried... usually my period is only off by a couple days, never more than three or four. At about a week of this confusion, I decided to take a pregnancy test, at the urging of one of my best friends... and of course, it turns out that I'm pregnant.

Two positive tests later, I realize there isn't much for me to do but get an abortion. I have no contact with my parents and right now I'm a bit financially in the hole... and I'm terrified. I know I cannot have the baby, and everyone is pressuring me in different ways.

I just want to know if there is any way I could get a payment plan for an abortion, or something of that effect. It's so hard to be worried about this when I know my time is getting shorter and shorter... my fiance is worried that I'm going to worry myself to death.... I just want to know if there is any way that I could get financial aid if I get an abortion... especially since I don't have health insurance.

Help, please?

Posts: 3 | From: Albuquerque, NM, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Aw, honey. I'm sorry to hear you're feeling pressured all around. You just be sure you have the space and at least a little time alone, away from the din to make a choice that's best for *you* okay?

Health insurance in the states doesn't, and hasn't ever, cover elective abortion. So, that wouldn't help you anyhow. Most clinics don't offer payment plans, but you can always ask the particular clinic you've called about this.

There is also the Hersey Fund, which offers finanical assistance, grants or loans to minors or low-income women (understand that if you're not truly low income, it may be a no go) for elective abortion. You can call here for information: (612) 825-8200 or (888) 439-0124.

I'd also suggest talking to your fiance or whomever it was who helped you become pregnant about chipping in their half here if you do decide abortion is what you want.

Hang in there.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
nmcowgirl87
Activist
Member # 17353

Icon 1 posted      Profile for nmcowgirl87     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm so sorry to hear about your situation. I suggest that while you research your abortion options you also look for a councilor. Even very early term abortions have some affect on your emotions, and it helps to have someone to get you through it.

A very good friend of mine was in the same position as you about 18 months ago, and she went to a clinic in Albuquerque that provides low-cost abortions. I think she ended up only paying something like $150 on a payment plan. I'll call her and see if she still has their business card.

In the meantime, here are the addresses and phone numbers of the Planned Parenthood clinic's in Albuquerque. They should be able to point you in the right direction:

Planned Parenthood Of New Mexico
701 San Mateo Blvd NE ABQ, NM (505) 265-9511

1804 Carlisle Blvd NE ABQ NM (505) 265-5976

3625 Central Av NE ABQ, NM (505) 265-3722

9809 Candelaria Rd NE ABQ, NM (505) 294-1577

Also, you might check out their website: http://www.plannedparenthood.org/ABORTION/Default.htm

Hope that helps!
XOXOX,
Tab

Posts: 64 | From: Carlsbad, NM USA | Registered: Mar 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MercilessSin
Neophyte
Member # 18103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MercilessSin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by nmcowgirl87:
A very good friend of mine was in the same position as you about 18 months ago, and she went to a clinic in Albuquerque that provides low-cost abortions. I think she ended up only paying something like $150 on a payment plan. I'll call her and see if she still has their business card.

If you could find that out for me, that would be much appreciated. I could afford that much, or even a bit more than that (with the help of my fiance, of course). If you can get a hold of her, feel free to e-mail me at edited -- posting email addresses is not permitted

Thanks!

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 05-13-2004).]

Posts: 3 | From: Albuquerque, NM, USA | Registered: May 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MercilessSin
Neophyte
Member # 18103

Icon 1 posted      Profile for MercilessSin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Miz Scarlet:
There is also the Hersey Fund, which offers finanical assistance, grants or loans to minors or low-income women (understand that if you're not truly low income, it may be a no go) for elective abortion. You can call here for information: (612) 825-8200 or (888) 439-0124.

I'd also suggest talking to your fiance or whomever it was who helped you become pregnant about chipping in their half here if you do decide abortion is what you want.

...what do you think would qualify as "low-income"? Right now, I am living away from my parents (with my fiance), we're both temporarily unemployed... but if need came to getting an abortion, we -might- be able to pull the money together.

The only thing I'm relieved about is that my fiance is planning to stand by me in whatever decision I make, and will help me pay for whatever he can.... Just... all the pressure around me is killing me...

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
(Hey nmcowgirl -- we ask that this section of the boards ONLY be answered by staff. What you've added here in incredibly helpful, but in the future, if you have something to add to a paost in this section, perhaps you could post it in staff stuff and we can add it for you? Thanks.)

Per the Hersey Fund, Merciless, what you're describing is the exact kind of situation which they usually aid. It's very helpful if you can pull *some* money together, but if you can, they can probably get you to the level you need.

Do what you can to take care of yourself and relax. if you can ditch some of the pressures you're feeling, do. If you do have an abortion, you'll need time and the right headspace to process it and rest up to heal, so it's important you do what you can now -- I know, it's hard -- to take good care of yourself.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.