Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » painful urination... bacterial infection or broken hymen?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: painful urination... bacterial infection or broken hymen?
newtotherealworld
Neophyte
Member # 11318

Icon 1 posted      Profile for newtotherealworld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Sexperts,
I was wondering if the breaking of a thick hymen could lead to temporary sensitivity and a burning sensation during urination. I've looked over the scarleteen sight and haven't been able to really match my symptoms to a bacterial infetion, and I don't have a doctor where I'm staying right now so I would have to wait at a walk-in clinic for tests
I have had sex before for I don't know if my hymen broke. Yesterday I went to the washroom before engaging in didgital sex, and all was normal. During manual sex a sharp for faint pain occured, which I ignored because ti was tolerable. Afterwards, I felt an unbearable burning sensation while urinating which lasted for at least 15 minutes afterwards. I went to bed hoping it woudl go away, but the same thing happened this morning. is there any danger in my waiting this out? I don't seem to have any other signs of bacterial infection (no discharge, other pain, etc.) The pain is located just under my inner labia on the right side. Is it possiblt for the effects of an infection to occur so quickly? Could I have merely broken the last of my hymen? Do you have any other siggestions?

I would really appreciate any advice here... prefferably detailed and not consisting of "see your doctor", which I will do if this persists.

Thank you very much.

Posts: 8 | From: Kingston, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultimately, while there is some deviation in hymen "width" there really isn't such a thing as thick or thin hymens. In penetrable hymens are so because of having little or no perforation, not because of thickness. Partial hymens -- which is the most you could have going on if you're successfully engaged in penetration before -- are so again not because of thickness, but because of still having connecting points to the vaginal opening, either by being bifurcated, or simply by the opening not having full erosion yet.

If you had a partial hymen and had any tearing, yes, that could be the pain you were experiencing, though if so, you likely (but possibly not, adrenaline is nature's pain reliever) would have also felt more pain during the sexual activity. I'd be more inclined to guess that you have an abrasion on your labia, due to friction and lack of lubrication during the sex, or if gloves wreren't worn, a cut from a callous or hangnail. That's IF the burning sensation was local to your labia or vaginal canal only, not in your urethra -- that would indicate a UTI.

So yes, if the pain continues past a day or two, see your doc.

For future reference, we do our best, always, to answer with as much detail as we can, but oftentimes, users don't give us a lot of information to work with, or things are murky, so in plenty of cases, telling someone to see their doctor, pronto, is the best advice there is.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
newtotherealworld
Neophyte
Member # 11318

Icon 2 posted      Profile for newtotherealworld     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you very much Ms. Scarlet.

I forgot to mention too though that there was some bleeding that occurred... If that gives you any further indication as to what may have happened, let me know. If not, thank you. I'll wait it out for a couple days and if it doesn't go away I'll bear the local walk-in clinic.

Posts: 8 | From: Kingston, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.