Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Pill, Period & Pregnancy

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pill, Period & Pregnancy
The1andonlyAmber
Activist
Member # 12779

Icon 1 posted      Profile for The1andonlyAmber     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok, I searched and searched and I couldn't find anything so here goes,

if on the pill, could you still have a period and be pregnant?

My last period was very, very light, I remember someone saying that the pill give you a false period so I was wondering if thats what is was and my real period didn't come?
I know this is stupid but my skin feels super smooth, I don't know. I'm just a little stressed out with thinking I might be Pregnant.
We don't use a condom, but have both been check so we're fine, I take my pill everyday, I haven't missed it. I'm just paranoid.
But some words of advice would be appriciated

Basically, if you're on the pill can you still have a period(light Bleeding) and be prgnant?

------------------
Why is it that the person that makes you cry, is the only one who can make you stop.

Posts: 51 | From: United Kingdom | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
When you're on the pill, you will experience bleeding, usually sometime during the last week of pills. This is often referred to as a period, even though it's not technically a period (it's withdrawl bleeding from the hormones you've been taking). Some women may also experience breakthrough bleeding or spotting during other weeks on the pill, especially if they've only recently started taking the pill. So, yes, you are supposed to bleed when you're on the pill, and you will not have "real periods" while on the pill but ones that are regulated by the hormones in the pill itself. Many women may find that their periods become extraordinarily light, but that's normal. The pill can also cause hormonal changes that make your skin clear up, so that might be why your skin feels different.

You can get pregnant while you're on the pill, because no method of birth control is 100%. If you've been taking your pill on time, every day, at the same time, and you haven't had any circumstances that might cause it to be less effective (such as taking antibiotics or other medications, or experiencing vomiting or diarrhea), then you're about as covered as you're going to get.

However, if you're getting your "period" while you're on the pill, you're most likely not pregnant. If you need some peace of mind, though, you can take a pregnancy test -- being on the pill will not affect its accuracy in any way. You'll need to take the test at least two weeks after the last time you had sex for it to be accurate.

It sounds to me like you're pretty well covered in terms of pregnancy protection. However, if you're worried about pregnancy, then get and take a test to ease your mind.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.