Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » This is important!!! But I did start my period!!!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: This is important!!! But I did start my period!!!!
this_is_me
Neophyte
Member # 13818

Icon 9 posted      Profile for this_is_me     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can you still be pregnate even if you are having your period? I know a girl at school who said that she had sex and then she had her period. And that she thought that everything was fine, and now she is like 8 months pregnate. Could I still be pregnate?
THANK YOU SO MUCH FOR PUTTING UP WITH MY MILLION QUESTIONS. I AM 14 AND IT IS JUST A REALLY SCARY SITUATION. AND THIS TAUGHT ME A MAJOR LESSON. P.S. is there anyway to take the pregnancy test if you are on your period?

Posts: 10 | From: Prescott Valley, AZ 86314 | Registered: Jul 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've got your period now (and it's a normal period, not lighter than usual), about a week after you had sex, then it's really very unlikely that you're pregnant.

However, it would still be a good idea to take a pregnancy test once it's been 10-14 days since you were "rolling around" with your boyfriend, just to be sure.

(And remember, you and he both will need STD testing).

In the case of the girl at your school, it's theoretically possible for someone to have sex just before their period is due, have their period, and then get pregnant from the sperm still present in their body from the sex. Check out this post for an explanation of how:

http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum27/HTML/001468.html

Once someone is pregnant and the fertilized egg has implanted in the uterus (which doesn't happen instantaneously), then they won't menstruate, as the lining of the uterus is not being shed.

However, some women experience light bleeding at implantation or intermittently during pregnancy, and sometimes women mistake this for their normal period and assume that they can't be pregnant.

quote:
AM 14 AND IT IS JUST A REALLY SCARY SITUATION.

Hang in there . We've got a bunch of articles that you should find helpful in the future:

Ready or Not? The Readiness Checklist - this is focused on readiness for intercourse, but much of it is relevant to any sexual activity, even if you're not having or thinking about having intercourse.
A Quickie STD/STI Risk Assessment
What's The Risk? - Five Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessment Flow Charts
Safe, Sound & Sexy A Safer Sex How-To

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.