Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » late period

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: late period
afflikk
Neophyte
Member # 13058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for afflikk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
if a young lady worries alot can it make her miss her period by 2 or 3 weeks
i mean if she is worried about soemthing major such as pregancy?

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, stress is one of the things that can delay someone's period.

However, if someone is worried that she may be pregnant, the smart thing to do is take a pregnancy test, which she can do as soon as her period is late (so if it's late by 2 or 3 weeks, she can most certainly take the test right away).

If this person is pregnant, then it's vital that she know about it as soon as possible so that she can decide what to do next.

And if she isn't pregnant, then the test will enable her to stop worrying.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, stress can delay periods. However, a pregnancy test can alleviate that stress quickly. If it's been at least ten -fourteen days (depending on the sensitivity of the test) since you had a pregnancy risk you can get an accurate result.
Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afflikk
Neophyte
Member # 13058

Icon 1 posted      Profile for afflikk     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well she did not worry until she realized it was a little late
also can certain medications and antibiotics mess with the menstural cycle?

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
well she did not worry until she realized it was a little late

It's not too late for her to take a pregnancy test, so I suggest that she do that immediately.

If she's had a pregnancy risk of any sort, then the sensible thing is to rule out pregnancy as a possible explanation for her late period before looking for other possible explanations.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I don't know what you're using for contraception, so this may not be applicable. Antibiotics and other medications aren't too likely to affect a girl's cycles, but antibiotics can make birth control pills less effective. Might this be relevant here?

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF

The night we met I knew I needed you so
And if I had the chance I'd never let you go

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
afflikk
Neophyte
Member # 13058

thanks for the info
PT it is

LittleMoneeGirl
Neophyte
Member # 13375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LittleMoneeGirl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
yah thats what happened to me
Posts: 11 | From: los angeles, ca, usa | Registered: Jun 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You've already been told that only Sexperts, Advocates and the original poster are to reply here. Stop replying to others' topics if you with to retain your posting priveleges.

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP, MF, CWCD, DNFTF

I'll bet you thought this
would never happen. Neither
did I. It's a pleasant
surprise.

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.