Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » 71 hours and counting...

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: 71 hours and counting...
scarletseven
Neophyte
Member # 13260

Icon 5 posted      Profile for scarletseven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
My boyfriend and I just had sex, using a condom. When he pulled out, there was a thick, white, sticky, odorless fluid on the outside of the condom. This happened once before, and I didn't know what it was, so I got the EC pill after two days of worrying and everything turned out fine. I later decided that that white fluid must have come from me, since sometimes when I masturbate I discharge the same stuff. However, I can't help but worry. I tested the condom to make sure it hadn't broken by squeezing the tip after he had pulled out of me. It didn't appear that anything from inside was leaking out, but I did end up with sticky stuff on my fingers. This was probably some of the fluid left over from me, as well as some of the lubrication that was on the condom to begin with, but what if it wasn't? There could have been a small leak, and I might not have noticed.

I guess my pressing question is, is there a good way to differentiate between his ejaculate and my discharges? I tasted it to see if I could tell, but I can't rely on the memory of my tastebuds for something so important. The college clinic closes on weekends, and my 72 hour window closes on sunday night. Is there a good way to tell? Either by texture, color, smell, or taste? Tomorrow is my only chance, if I need it.

Thanks. There's nothing worse than the fear of a mistake. Ugh.

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Women secrete mucus and vaginal lubricant, which can appear sticky and white. bummer with the confusion, I know.

Chances are, the condom worked fine and you only got your own fluids on your fingers. If I were you, I'd get a regular prescription for birth control pills so you could be a little more protected against pregnancy, instead of taking EC every time. But for now, if you are really worried, then get the EC (although, while i wasn't there to witness, it sounds like your condom worked fine).

As for testing for leakage, in the future, keep a bottle of food dye in your medicine cabinet. put a drop of dye in the condom and fill it with water. any color comes out? then you've got a leak.

------------------
May suffering and pestilence befall the %$@! who broke into my car.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
scarletseven
Neophyte
Member # 13260

Icon 1 posted      Profile for scarletseven     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thanks for the reply. I think it's gonna be okay...and I hear you about the trying not to do EC every time thing. That's why I wanted to clear things up ahead of time--I tend to get really paranoid, and I can't just run to the health center every time something seems amiss. Might do a tad of harm to my health. Getting a regular prescription for an oral contraceptive is up there on my to do list, but I'm holding off for a while. My boyfriend and I won't be seeing each other for the next six months, then we'll be together for two and a half, and then apart again for another six, so I don't want to have to worry about staying on schedule and paying for the pills while they're not doing me any good. Once I do, though, well...I can't wait for the peace of mind.

Again, thanks for the reassurance. Sometimes I just need someone to tell me I'm being paranoid, and it's good to hear someone who knows what they're talking about.

ps-like your website :)

Posts: 2 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
alaska
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1896

Icon 1 posted      Profile for alaska     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Hello Scarlet,

How about getting a diaphragm then? If you want backup you only want to use when you need it, that might be a good option.

While worrying about pregnancy is normal, I think that if you find you are totally freaked out even though the condom did not fail, it might be a good idea to stop and think whether this stress is worth it and whether you are ready to be sexually active at the moment and whether can deal with all risks involved to being sexually active.

Getting back up methods of birth control and discussing "what if"s with your partner might make you feel more comfortable and ease your mind, too.

------------------
Caro
~Scarleteen Sexpert~

"it may look like i'm moving but i'm standing still."
bob dylan

Posts: 4526 | From: germany | Registered: Nov 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.