Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » What's your opinion?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: What's your opinion?
RaCheer
Neophyte
Member # 13105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaCheer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
On April 30 my boyfriend and I had sex. I'm on the pill and have been for several years now. We didn't, however, use a condom. I know that pre-cum contains sperm and that is still possible to become pregnant from it. He pulled out before he ejacualted but I later found some dried cum on my very upper thigh which made me wonder whether or not he pulled out quick enough. I was supposed to start my period a week ago but I didn't. I'm usually pretty regular but I must admit I've been so paranoid and I've been worrying so much and I know that stress can cause a delayed period or even a missed one. Well...on Friday May 17 I took a home pregnancy test and my results were negative. This was 16 days after I had intercourse and 6 days after my late period. I've been having cramping for the last week...cramping like I'm about to start my period but I still haven't and it's May 19th. I take my birth control pills correctly and I know that they are very effective when taken correctly. And I also know that home pregnancy tests are almost 100% effective when taken at least 10-14 days after intercourse and I took one 16 days after. I just recently switched from Effexor to Zoloft for anxiety and I'm wondering if that has an effect on my period. I thought I would be reassured with the negative pregnancy test but I'm still paranoid. I'm beginning to think I'm just worrying too much. Can ya'll offer me any opinions or advice? This scare has been enough to scare me into never having sex without a condom again!!!
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
At this point, I would see the health care professional that prescribed you the pill.

If you've been taking your pill correctly for that long, your risk of pregnancy is very low. However, the cramping and the absence of your period, combined with that negative pregnancy test, make me think that a doctor's visit would be a good idea, just to make sure everything is all right.

It may or may not be a drug interaction with your other medication. Does the doctor who prescribed that to you know that you are on the pill?

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Take a little time for sunshine/Take a whole lot of time for love/...Take your life as it may come, 'cause boy, it'll be gone soon/Take a little time for howlin' at the moon..." - Sam Bush, "Howlin' at the Moon"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaCheer
Neophyte
Member # 13105

Icon 1 posted      Profile for RaCheer     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The doctor who prescribed me the pill is also the doctor who prescribed the other medication. I still think it's partially because I've been worrying so much about it. I would hate to have to wait another 3 weeks for my period to come to find out for sure.
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, you can take another pregnancy test in a week - this one with your first morning urine, as it's the most concentrated - or you can have a doctor's appointment and ask for a more sensitive blood test for pregnancy. Other than that, you can wait another three weeks, which it sounds like you don't want to do (and I wouldn't want to, either).

I know it's an awful feeling, hon. Get tested again one way or the other if it will make you feel any better.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Take a little time for sunshine/Take a whole lot of time for love/...Take your life as it may come, 'cause boy, it'll be gone soon/Take a little time for howlin' at the moon..." - Sam Bush, "Howlin' at the Moon"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
RaCheer
Neophyte
Member # 13105

Thanks so much! I'll keep you posted. )

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.