Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » would this affect the pill??

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: would this affect the pill??
frenchy
Activist
Member # 11720

Icon 5 posted      Profile for frenchy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've been taking the pill for about 5 months now, last night my came inside of me the only contraception used was my birth control - pill (usually we use both condom and pill though).
Any way my question is, i'm usually on time for taking my pill, besides though right at the beginning of last week i stuffed up and took the pill about 6hrs late.
I'm curious whether that would of affected my protection last night. and also curious how safe (pregnant wise)is the pill by it self? do i need ec?

Posts: 43 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You are probably just fine this time, and most doctors/clinics will advise you that EC is unnecessary in this case. However, do remember that the more late you are with a pill, and the more pills you miss or take late, the greater the chance of a possible pregnancy.

This is why doubling up the pill with a condom is a great idea all the time.

The pill is very effective - if taken perfectly, it's nearly 100% effective (estimates range from 95-99%) - but if it's not taken properly (1 pill a day, at the same time each day), that efficacy level goes down accordingly.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.