Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » anyone know?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: anyone know?
DryEyeRelief
Neophyte
Member # 10154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DryEyeRelief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My girlfriend and I had sex a couple hours ago and she is worried the condom may have broken. She is off "the pill". I was just wondering if you can take a certain amount of the oral contreceptive to replace a morning after pill? I read it somewhere but I do not know if that is valid. Can anyone help me out
Posts: 24 | From: Temple City CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Basically you are right and the morning after pill is simply a larger dose of the normal contraceptive pill.

However, unless you have a doctor's explicit permission, it is not wise to simply ingest more of the normal contraceptive pill.

Simply because you do not know how much to take and you will not know if the contraceptive pill your gf is on is suitable to be taken in a larger dose.

If you are quite certain the condom broke, then just head to your nearest emergency room or medical practicioner for the morning after pill.

In the future, it would be wise to check the condom for any breakage immediately after sex.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
DryEyeRelief
Neophyte
Member # 10154

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DryEyeRelief     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
she takes ortho tri cyclin
Posts: 24 | From: Temple City CA | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What Lin was trying to get across was that even if we do know what pill she takes, we are not doctors and cannot advise her whether or how to take her birth control as emergency contraceptives.

She needs to get to a doctor, clinic, or emergency room as soon as possible if she does not wish to become pregnant, and get emergency contraception. EC works best the sooner it's taken.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Take a little time for sunshine/Take a whole lot of time for love/...Take your life as it may come, 'cause boy, it'll be gone soon/Take a little time for howlin' at the moon..." - Sam Bush, "Howlin' at the Moon"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.