Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Secondary Amenorrhea

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Secondary Amenorrhea
Moonlet
Activist
Member # 3368

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Moonlet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Before I went on birth control pills i was 95 pounds and my period was IRREGULAR. Im currently 19 years old and i got my period in 8th grade on easter and it lasted for a full month. My second period came on christmas. Over a 5 year span I only had my period about 15 times!! average person is 11-13 times A YEAR. When i was 16 i went on orthotricyclen. After the first few months when the nausea was supposed to have ceased, i still had it. every day of the first pill i would throw up. This continued for a year until i decided to stop. (I waited till i finished the whole pack) I stopped on June 1, 2002, and until this day, i have never had my period!!! its been almost a year! I have read all about the symptoms of secondary amenorrhea, i am not pregnant, i am not over or underweight, (i still have the 10 pounds that i gained, so im now 105 and 5'3)
i went to my gyn this january and i asked her if i needed to worry because i didnt get my period for almost a year, and she said no cause i had been irregular before i started taking the pill. I dont think she realized that i was irregular for a only a few months. My last resort is to go back on the BCP, but is there any way i can get my period again? It's really scaring me. Thank you so much for reading this long message. Im only 19 but i want to make sure that i will be fertile and able to have a family on my own. Thanks!

Posts: 42 | From: Hawaii | Registered: Apr 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ErinK
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1371

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ErinK     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It sounds like maybe you need to get a second opinion from a different gynecologist, if that's possible, or go back to your curent one and explain your concerns again.

There are a lot of different reasons why you might not be getting your period, so I wouldn't panic just yet about being infertile.

Go and get another opinion and let us know how it goes.

Posts: 3077 | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.