Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » condom problem

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: condom problem
somethingvague
Neophyte
Member # 12930

Icon 5 posted      Profile for somethingvague     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
my boyfriend and i were putting his condom on and realized it was backwards. it was the only one we had so we flipped it around and used it as it seemed nothing was on it. it was kimono brand with spermicide. that was about 29 hours ago, do you think i should take EC anyway?
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you have had a pregnancy risk. You know this. Go for it and get the EC if you do not wish to become pregnant.

(FYI: in future, lay off the spermicide; the amount that's on a condom isn't enough to kill anywhere near the amount of sperm in an ejaculation, and the stuff is pretty harsh - it irritates a lot of people, and it can make you more susceptible to STD transmission. All in all, not worth it.)

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somethingvague
Neophyte
Member # 12930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somethingvague     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i was wary of going for it today because i hear you can really only take it once. the only place around here where i can get it is probably a hospital ER. any idea how much it'll cost me?
Posts: 3 | Registered: May 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
What do you mean, you can really only take it once? EC doesn't become less effective each time you take it or anything like that, so don't worry about that - it's just not a good idea to be relying on it as birth control, because it's a hefty dose of hormones and can make you feel bad/disrupt your cycle.

The sooner you take EC the better the chance that it will work.

You can get EC at a dr's office, a clinic/Planned Parenthood, or a hospital/emergency room. It'll probably be somewhere from $20-40 if you're in the US, depending on whether you have insurance and whether you use it, and where you go. PP usually has sliding scale for services.

See this for more on EC: Emergency Contraception . You can call 1-800-NOT-2-LATE for a place near you to get EC.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
somethingvague
Neophyte
Member # 12930

Icon 1 posted      Profile for somethingvague     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thank you much! actually, yeah, i had heard from someone that it becomes less effective every time (or that it's not effective at all most of the time), so i was kinda nervous.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.