Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » ??? question..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: ??? question..
Surf Chicklet
Activist
Member # 11403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surf Chicklet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Someone told me that it is impossible to get pregnant when you are not doing anything of a sexual manner..is this a good 'rule' to go by?

Also, would sperm wash off in ocean (salt) water? If i touched someones hand in the ocean and then touched myself..maybe 2 minutes later..is there a risk? Im not sure if there was even sperm on this persons hand..normally there wouldnt be right?
Thank you so much.

Posts: 59 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
You may wish to read our article Where DID I Come From? Human Reproduction. The risk you describe is very slight. Sperm can live outside the body for about 20 minutes and, yes, the salt water should wash it away from a hand.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surf Chicklet
Activist
Member # 11403

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Surf Chicklet     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Slight?? This really, really, really scares me. Oh wow. It was just my cousin, and he asked my to hold his sunglasses for him while we were in the water. And then I adjusted the crotch of my bathing suit. And I could get pregnant? I didnt think..oh wow.
Posts: 59 | Registered: Jan 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, unless your cousin was masturbating in the sea or something to that effect, there wouldn't even be sperm on his hand to begin with.

As Bobolink said, the risk you describe is almost minute. But then again, your post doesn't really say what your cousin was doing when you touched his hand.

Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surf Chicklet
Activist
Member # 11403

He wasnt doing anything...We walked down the beach and went in the water..He didnt stick his hand dow his pants or anything
Lin
Activist
Member # 2050

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Lin     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then chances are there would not be sperm on his hand which would mean that you are quite safe.
Posts: 2294 | From: Singapore | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surf Chicklet
Activist
Member # 11403

so, in this case, i do not have a risk?

Also, if something is not done in a sexual manner is it safe to assume that there is no pregnancy risk associated?

Thank you so much, your help is greatly appreciated.

lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
No, there is no risk of pregnancy in the case you have described.

SurfChicklet, you might want to keep this page bookmarked to soothe your concerns, and give it a good readthrough if you haven't yet:

What's The Risk? - Five Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessment Flow Charts

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

[This message has been edited by lemming (edited 04-26-2003).]

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Surf Chicklet
Activist
Member # 11403

(is it okay to reply to this thread still? I hope so..)

I was reading this over again and I was wondering, is it 'normal' to even think of these things, (pregnancy risks), over and over? I know usually, no, because I'm seeing someone for this compulsive habit, but..in this case was it okay to worry about it?

Also, if we were doing nothing but walking down the beach before we went into the water, theres no way there could be sperm on his hand without my knowledge right?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think it's safe to say, Chicklet, that this level of constant worry -- and with this instance -- is due to your OCD, and not a sort of worry someone without an OCD would be having once they knew how reproduction worked, which I know that you do.

Not a criticism -- you have a disorder, and that's just how it goes -- just an honest answer. And again, the answer is no, you've nothing to worry about, but us saying that is only of so much help because your compulsion with this seems to override logic, which is often the case with OCD.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.