Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Do I need EC?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Do I need EC?
raptor
Neophyte
Member # 12545

Icon 1 posted      Profile for raptor     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
HI,

Kind of urgent, i just had unprotected sex, but i have my period (1st day or it)
and he didnt come, also i had a tampon in and he wasnt in very long.. yeah.. a really bad idea, anyway im nervous, i typically have a long cycle (7 days)should i be worried?

do i need to go get emergency contraception?

thanks

Posts: 5 | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, Emergency Contraception is definitely appropriate in this case.

It's next to impossible to know when you ovulate unless you've been charting your periods, cervical mucus, and basal body temperature for some time; being on your period is NOT a form of birth control. Nor does it matter how long intercourse lasted -- as soon as semen comes into contact with your vulva there is a pregnancy risk.

Also, both of you are at risk for STD/STIs. It would be a great idea to get tested when you're getting EC.

Finally, intercourse with a tampon in is a very, very bad idea. It can cause harm to your body and trap sperm and bacteria near the cervix.

In the future using condoms would be an excellent idea. They'll significantly reduce your risk of STD/STIs and pregnancy.

Ready or Not? –The Readiness Checklist
Safe, Sound & Sexy – A Safer Sex How-To
Margaret Sanger’s Disneyland - An easy chart of your birth control options
A Simple Condom Primer
A Quickie STD/STI Risk Assessment
What's The Risk? - Five Easy Pregnancy Risk Assessment Flow Charts

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 04-09-2003).]

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.