Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » tear

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: tear
sunstar123
Neophyte
Member # 12484

Icon 4 posted      Profile for sunstar123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been sexually active for about 2 years now. I recently had a new partner and nothing out of the ordinary happened until after, when I began to bleed. I thought that it was my period, but the next morning I realized it wasn't. Before I had a piece of skin (which I didn't know that it was), but anyways, it was a small peice of skin that was kinda a loop down there. I would only notice it when my tampon would get caught in/ behind/ by it. Then I would have to move it from the tampon to then remove the tampon. So, I now noitced that the blood was because this no longer was a loop, and it had broken. Now it hangs there. long and cylinder shaped. I have no idea what it is and I am scared. please help
thanks

Posts: 2 | From: miami, Florida USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Sounds to me like you have simply have had a partial hymen (that's totally possible, even when you're sexually active) that eroded more or tore. That would be what your tampon was getting stuck on.

If it looks a little "hangy" right now, that's okay. Most womens vaginal openings have pieces of the intial hymen that stick around. They're pretty tiny, less than an inch at most, I'd say, but they are easily visible. And it may erode a little more and get smaller in time.

If what you're looking at is larger than that and isn't at your vaginal opening, I'd suggest you see your GYN.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
sunstar123
Neophyte
Member # 12484

Icon 1 posted      Profile for sunstar123     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i just looked again, and its for sure bigger than what you just said. I can even see where it was connected before and where it broke and it used to actually seperate what is my vaginal opening. I am so confused here....

Posts: 2 | From: miami, Florida USA | Registered: Apr 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If it separated your vaginal opening, it was a partial hymen.

So, really, no matter how long it is (and it can't be THAT long if it used to be taut over the opening, vaginal openings aren't that big), it will wear away a bit in time.

If it bothers you in the interim, you can see your GYN and just have it snipped -- the hymen is meant to go away over time, it's very thin membrane, and that sort of procedure is really very simple and painless.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.