Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Warts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Warts
Cutechick235
Neophyte
Member # 11915

Icon 9 posted      Profile for Cutechick235     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I've just been to my doctor and I have been diagnosed with enital warts, I have to make an appointment now up the hospital, I havent stopped crying and I just feel so bad and ashamed.
I started going out with this boy the other day and I know he will want sex soon and I know that I wont b able to. Will I ever be able to have sex again without worrying that im goin to give it to someone else or can I never have sex again?

Posts: 4 | From: Wales | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Woah there sweetie. Slow down, take a deep breath, relax a bit.

STI File: Human Papilloma Virus (HPV, Warts)
Herpes & HPV

Check out those two articles for some information about HPV. It's good that you've gotten yourself diagnosed and that you're getting treatment. Good for you. Having HPV doesn't mean that you'll never be able to have sex again. It does mean that you'll need to abstain if you're having a break out. And that you'll need to inform your partners before you become sexually active with them. You'll also need to keep a really close eye on your sexual health, pay attention to your body. And make sure that you're using all safer sex precautions. It's not the end of the world though. There are a couple of threads around here (in Support Groups, I think) that are about being diagnosed with STDs. That may provide you with some much needed emotional support right now.

quote:
I started going out with this boy the other day and I know he will want sex soon and I know that I wont b able to.

That statement bothers me a bit, honey. Do you want to have sex with him right now? I don't just mean in reference to the HPV. Just because he "will want sex soon" certainly doesn't mean that you have to have sex. Wanting to be sexually active is one thing, but feeling like you should be just because someone else wants it is an entirely different issue. Don't ever do anything that you're not sure you want to do. No matter what the reasoning behind it.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
http://www.scarleteen.com/forum/Forum9/HTML/000008.html

There ya go...check out that thread.

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Would you feel ashamed iof you were diagnosed with chicken pox?

Not likely. Look love, bodies are falliable and susceptible to viruses and disease: your whole body, and that includes your genitals. Just because your virus is sexually transmittied doesn't make it any dirtier or "bad" than any other sort of illness.

Now, if you havem't been practicing safer sex, took a risk and now found out how much of a risk, then yes, you're going to feel a little foolish and likely angry with yourself. But the only sound, healthy way to manage that is by making a vow to yourself to now learn about safer sex and practice it, always, henceforth. Mind you, with HPV and Herpes, sometimes even that isn't always enough.

Can you have sex again? Yes, you can. At least one-third of all sexually active young adults right now have HPV. It's not just you, but that is a wake-up call to take safer sex seriously: and that includes not just condom, dam and glove use, but testing as well. You should also make a point right now of contacting your previous partners to inform them of this so they too can be tested.

The risk of giving it to others is high, but it is decreased dramatically via women when you keep check of your sexual health, get any active warts taken care of promptly, and use safer sex practices: again, namely condoms, gloves and dental dams and testing. You can find out about all of that right here: Safe, Sound & Sexy A Safer Sex How-To.

You can also find out more about HPV here: Herpes & HPV and here: STI File: Human Papilloma Virus (HPV, Warts).

So, you have a new person you're dating. The way to start this right is to make sure that before you start progressing to sexual activities, you are comfortable enough with him to tell him you have HPV, tell him what his risks are, and talk about safer sex with him. if you can't do that -- for people with or without an STD or STI -- you shouldn't be sexually active. Those discussions and practices are necessary for everyone right now to have sex reponsibly whether they have an STI or not.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.