Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » STD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: STD?
anistar
Neophyte
Member # 10280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anistar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi. I've been with my boyfriend for almost a year and a half. We were each others firsts, as far as sex. Before him, I was with two other guys (only manual stimulation). Before me, he was with two other girls and had gone a little further.

So, now, the question. I have this bump on my inner labia. It looks like a pimple, but a bit bigger. I noticed it after my boyfriend and I were together yesterday. I'd like to be pretty positive it's an ingrown hair or just a zit, but I'm afraid it could be an STD. Even though I've been with my boyfriend for so long, could it be an STD, and just take this long to show up? Also, I've been tested (I just went for my Depo shot a few weeks ago, I assume they do it every visit?). Eh?

Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, it could take symptoms of an STD or STI to show up. Not having had intercourse before doesn't offer protection from all STIs or even most of them, and if you haven't been practicing safer sex, you should consider both of you at as mmuch of a risk as anyone else.

In the case of a lump, the most likely suspect would be HPV, if this is an STI. Herpes & HPV can give you some info. Pimples on the outer labia can happen regularly, but tissue differs from skin, so pimples on the inner labia are pretty unlikely.

The GYN doesn't always do STD and STI testing unless you make clear you're sexually active and that you WANT full testing done. A pap smear can find irregularities which may indicate some STIs, but not all, and if you didn't have that sore then, they couldn't have examined it, and if it's brand new, even if it is HPV, it's unlikely to cause cervical cell changes so soon.

So, time to go back and make sure. You want to find out if you've something that needs treatment or not as soon as possible.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
anistar
Neophyte
Member # 10280

Icon 1 posted      Profile for anistar     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I had a pap smear the first time I got the Depo shot, which was this past September. Do you mean that if I had an STD for that test, it wouldn't have shown up then? Or does it not show up on the test until a sore appears? He and I had messed around a lot before having sex (we started having sex 8 months into the relationship), so I would assume it would have showed up then. Sorry, not too familiar with this. Also, if it's not anything bad, could it just be an ingrown hair? Bleh. There's always something in life, isn't there?

[This message has been edited by anistar (edited 03-04-2003).]

Posts: 7 | Registered: Oct 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, there is always something, but in all honesty, if you aren't practicing safer sex there's always going to be a much bigger chance of there always being something. That's the risk you're choosing to take and increase.

Disease and infection aren't always instant. It's not as simple as person A having an STI, sleeping with person B and person B gets it, powie. It depends on the immune systems and health of both people at any given time, on the specific disease or infection and its status, on a lot of things. So it's entirely possible not to contract an STI a partner may have for months or even years, yes.

And if September was the last exam you had and you're just now seeing what may be a wart, then no, it would likely not have found anything. Specific to HPV, there aren't always warts, but if there are, it's a safe bet it's recently acquired. Cercival call changes a pap would pick up don't develop for a good while, if they develop at all.

So again, get back to your GYN or clinic ASAP, especially while the sore is still present, as that makes an accurate diagnosis of whatever it is mmore likely.

As far as ingrown hairs, hair doesn't grow ON the inner labia, so no, that's probably not an opion. It may, however, be something like a benign cyst, which can happen and need not be anything serious or even need treatment. A cyst will be pretty hard, and feel like something is inside of it, like a very hard pimple, a wart will be more like raised skin that's just swollen or puffy, and often has a pinkish or whitsish head.

Go get it checked out -- the rhetorical is of pretty limited value. What it could be isn't important. What it is is important.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.