Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » emergency advice needed!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: emergency advice needed!
shirtsandgloves
Activist
Member # 11960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shirtsandgloves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, i lost my virginity on sunday to a good friend of mine. we talked about it beforehand. we used a condom with spermicidal lubricant. the condom DID NOT break, rip, or leak in any way. however, i developed a yeast infection... the boy i lost it to is being sort of a jerk, i understand that, we knew it would just be sex. it's okay with both of us... however... i've been sleeping very poorly, waking up with headaches and stomachaches, i can't eat without becoming nauseous, and i just want to stay in bed all day... i'm having my mother make me an appointment with a gynecologist this week to check for a pelvic inflammation or UTI, and she's not going with me, so i can tell them i was sexually active... but do you have any insight as to what's wrong with me? i mean... i'm just scared! we were so careful, trojan-enz with spermicidal lube, and even he swears it was fine... so why am i so scared????

thank you!

Posts: 65 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Spermicide = bad idea.

First of all, we don't recommend using spermicide at all. It is notorious for causing irritation, and honestly there's not enough there to kill all the sperm. Skip the spermicide next time...use lots of extra water-based lube (like Astroglide or KY).

It may be a yeast infection or a UTI or just a reaction to the lube. Don't try to treat it yourself, just get yourself to the gyn asap!

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
shirtsandgloves
Activist
Member # 11960

Icon 1 posted      Profile for shirtsandgloves     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
well, nothing spilled, the condom was faultless, we used a brand reputed for it's safety... the spermicide couldn't have HURT anything, could it? i mean... something to do with pregnancy... and why do i feel so yucky!??!?
Posts: 65 | Registered: Feb 2003  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As Kitten explained, spermicides can't exactly injure you, but nonoxynol-9, the spermicide used on condoms is essentially dish soap. That given, LOTS of people have sensitivities or allergic reactions to it (think about it: dish soap + gential tissue = ow). And having an allergic reaction can make a pesron MORE prone to contract an STD or STI.

No, it cannot make you pregnant. As far as feeling yucky, if you have a yeast infection or UTI, yeah, you're going to feel pretty lousy. Even if you did become pregnant should the condom HAVE broken, you would not be having symptoms this early in the game.

To boot, it sounds to me like the experience you had -- in terms of how this guy is being towards you now -- wasn't so great. Just that stress or dissapointment alone could give you a stomachache or make you depressed (the lethargy in terms of wanting to be in bed all day).

So, until you see the GYN, take care of yourself, both physically and emotionally. get the rest you need, and process what you need to -- if you're upset, pissed or dissapointed, let yourself feel that way rather than shoving it off or pretending it's all okay if it really isn't.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It's okay to have (responsible!) casual sex, or sex that's just for fun, but if it's coming with emotional pain or upset, you might want to consider whether it's really worth it. For the dangers and responsibilities that come with it, you might as well enjoy what you're doing, and having a partner who's a 'jerk' isn't really conducive to that. It is possible to find someone you feel happy and comfortable with, if that's what you're looking for, and it's also possible to find an excellent, caring, fulfilling lover in yourself. This is, of course, my opinion, not necessarily anyone else's, but I'd suggest you re-evaluate what you're getting out of this arrangement, and find a way to get yourself better. If anyone's worth making the effort for, it's you, right?

------------------
Milke, with an L, SSBD, RATS, TMNTP

Anyone perfect must be lying, anything easy has its cost
Anyone plain can be lovely, anyone loved can be lost

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.