Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » how do you get herpes?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: how do you get herpes?
lil_lady14
Neophyte
Member # 10798

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lil_lady14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can you get it from kissing?
Posts: 17 | From: dartmouth, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
First off, please stop double-posting. I've deleted one of your posts already and will now be deletinng another.

There is not always someone here to answer questions immediately -- you need to be patient and wait for an answer. Generally, we're pretty darned speedy, but expecting one in two seconds is unrealistic, and double-posting or sppamming is against our guidelines.

You can contract herpes from any sort of oral or genital contact with the virus or a carrier. If someone with oral Herpes, for instance, uses a glass you then share the glass with, you can contract it that way. And you certainly can contract it via kissing or touching: mouth to mouth, mouth to hand, hand to hand, hand to eye, et cetera.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil_lady14
Neophyte
Member # 10798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil_lady14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
WHAT!? you can get herpse from kissing and theres no way to avoid it:| omg i may as well be a nun! what can you do to get rid of it? do cold sores have anything to do with herpes?
Posts: 17 | From: dartmouth, nova scotia, canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Cold sores ARE oral herpes.

Mouth ulcers are not. Which is why you see a doctor if you have what you think can be either to find out.

There is no need to be a nun (and nuns can get Herpes, too). People with Herpes are advised to make a point not to kiss partners when they have active sores or share utensils or objects. That isn't at all foolproof, but it greatly reduces the risk of transmission.

There is no cure for Herpes. There and medications to reduce symptoms, but at present, you cannot get rid of it.

Again, if you think you may have Herpes, see your doctor. And again, please stop spamming the boards. if you continue, you will lose your ability to post here.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil_lady14
Neophyte
Member # 10798

Icon 1 posted      Profile for lil_lady14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
i dont mean to be annoying im sorry its just that im 14 AND IT DOESENT SEEM FAIR THAT I COULD HAVE GOTTEN THIS DISEASE AND NOW I CANT REALLY HAVE A SEX LIFE ITS JUST IM REALLY CONCERNED BUT THIS WEBSITE IS REALLY SREAT, SORRY, THANKS
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, you can get herpes from kissing. That's why so many young children have the virus...being kissed by a reletive or friend who has sores and inadvertently passing the virus on. Why don't you check out STI File: Herpes Simplex for more information on herpes (it answers your question about cold sores and gives information on how to protect yourself, btw). Herpes can be treated, however there is currently no cure.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 1679

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KittenGoddess     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Btw, having herpes does not mean you can't have a sex life. It means that you need to be careful (ie. using condoms and dental dams for oral sex...and taking all other safer sex precautions, etc). Many people with herpes still have very satisfying sex lives. Just be careful and take precuations. Pay attention to your body and avoid kissing or oral-sexual contact if you're having an outbreak or feel one coming on. And inform your partners of the risk.

------------------
KittenGoddess
Scarleteen Sexpert (and Labia Lady)

Posts: 7316 | From: USA | Registered: Oct 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Before you get insane about this, how about you see your doctor.

Please.

Bear in mind that 50% of the US population has Herpes. I assure you that 50% of the US population is not without a sex life. They learn how to manage the virus and their sex lives with the help of -- that's right, you guessed it -- their doctor!

Anyone in their right mind, with or without a disease or infection, practices safer sex now. That'll likely be part of all our sex lives for years to come, and it's no big shakes.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 01-25-2003).]

lil_lady14
Neophyte
Member # 10798

ok well its just cuz i made out with this guy on monday night(its now saturday)and woke up the next morning with a cold sore its still there and also that morning i noticed a bump on my labeia its not the first one ive ever noticed, the first one i ever noticed one was like 2-3 years ago, i only ever had 2 up untill now and at first i thought it was a ingrown pubic hair but it was purpleish and oval shaped theyre about half a cm long but anyway i thought it was an ingrown hair so i popped it and there was a little bit of blood and that was it and the second time it occoured was about a year later on the inner labea so i just washed allot and it went away within a few days but this one was sore and its a bit dried out also
the first two times i got them was b4 i ever kissed a guy as well

Heather
Member # 3

Well, if you have had cold sores, and touched your mouth and then your genitals, then yes, you could have sores on your genitals from Herpes as well. As well, genital Herpes can be passed amoung family members sometimes from nongenital contact.

You won't get ingrown hairs on your inner labia because there is not hair on the inner labia. And in the future, you don't want to squeeze or poke things on your genital tissue.

So: go see your doctor. Preferably, when you have a sore, either on your mouth or genitals -- to accurately test for herpes, a sore needs to be present. But call in about it regardless and get an appointment.

For the record, if you have had cold sores before, and do have Herpes, you may well have had it before kissing said bloke. And if your doctor diagnoses you with oral herpes, you'll need to let that boy know.

------------------
Heather Corinna

-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

[This message has been edited by Miz Scarlet (edited 01-25-2003).]

lil_lady14
Neophyte
Member # 10798

but i didnt touch his mouth or mine and then then touch myself so im not even sure if whatever is going on down there has anything to do with the cold sore and i may have had that bump down there b4 i kissed him i just nopticed it that morning and im only 14 i cant go to a doctor without my parents and im not telling them cuz theyll think im sexually active
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 1 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hon, you need to stop, relax, and read. There is no need to panic here. If you don't have herpes, that's great; and if you do have herpes, it's not going to get any worse in the next ten minutes.

We really, really need to know that you have read this article:
http://www.scarleteen.com/infection/herpes.html

Read it twice, slowly.

There is nothing to be ashamed or panicked about. While herpes can be sexually transmitted, it can also be transmitted by casual contact. This is why 1 in 5 people have it, including nuns and kindergarteners.

You seem to somehow think that having herpes is a punishment for kissing someone or a mark of shame. You could have gotten it from kissing. You could also have gotten it from your best friend, a cousin, or a teacher.

Therefore, this will not freak out your parents. There is NO reason not to say to your parents, "I've had this cold sore for a while and I think I should see a doctor."

You need to see a doctor. No matter what you say, nothing is going to change that very simple fact!

------------------
Hope this helps,
--Bri

Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lil_lady14
Neophyte
Member # 10798

ok i read it
lil_lady14
Neophyte
Member # 10798

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lil_lady14     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
thanks
DarlingBri
Activist
Member # 5036

Icon 12 posted      Profile for DarlingBri     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You're welcome
Posts: 848 | From: London, UK | Registered: Aug 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Bobolink
Activist
Member # 1386

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Bobolink         Edit/Delete Post 
While Scarleteen advises that you should keep your parents informed as they are legally responsible for your health, if you possess a Nova Scotia health card, you can make your own doctor's appointments.

------------------
We can't solve problems by using the same kind of thinking we used when we created them.

- Albert Einstein

Posts: 3442 | From: Stirling, Ontario, Canada | Registered: Sep 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.