Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Should I be worried about being pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Should I be worried about being pregnant?
Gawfikk Girlie
Neophyte
Member # 4153

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gawfikk Girlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, here's my story. On January 17th, my boyfriend and I were having sex and the condom ended up breaking. Although he hadn't ejaculated inside of me, I was still worried about a risk of pregnancy, so the next day (January 18th), I went to get an ECP.

I took the first pill twenty-seven hours after sex, and I took the second pill twelve hours later. I was glad to get that out of the way.

Now, I'm wondering if I'm still at a major risk for pregnancy. I looked at my calendar, and it seems the last time I had my period was on December 23rd. As of today (when I'm posting this), I'm on my twenty-eighth day. My periods aren't 100% regular.. but still.

I was wondering if I'm still at a high risk for pregnancy, and if it's possible that the pill might actually delay me having my period. An answer ASAP would be very much appreciated.

~Shinya

Posts: 6 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Emergency contraception is quite effective and it sounds as if you took it properly so you aren't likely to be pregnant.

And yes, EC can cause some period wonkiness. If you're still worried in two weeks take a pregnancy test.

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gawfikk Girlie
Neophyte
Member # 4153

Icon 11 posted      Profile for Gawfikk Girlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is there any time range that an ECP can delay a woman's period? I'm just wondering, because it tends to make me nervous when days pass by when I don't get my period.

On the other hand, I have been feeling a little odd lately... kind of like a minor cramp/bloated feeling in my abdomen area. Is this something normal to be expected with EC, or should I get this checked out?

I think it's around my 29th day of my cycle, when would it be possible for me to take an accurate pregnancy test? (going from the information I gave in my previous post, and the information given in this post)

[This message has been edited by Gawfikk Girlie (edited 01-22-2003).]

Posts: 6 | From: Albuquerque, NM | Registered: Jun 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, ECP can delay your period, cause it to come sooner, later, heavier, or lighter.

You can take a pregnancy test on the first day of a missed period or 10-14 days after you had a pregnancy risk (unprotected sex). The box the test comes in will tell you more about your particular test, too.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gawfikk Girlie
Neophyte
Member # 4153

Icon 10 posted      Profile for Gawfikk Girlie     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, just as kind of an update, I decided to take a pregnancy test today, just in case I might have gotten pregnant from another sexual encounter before the one where the condom broke ('cause you never know...). I figured this would probably be a smart idea, especially since I have missed my somewhat-regular period.

And the test came back negative.

*big sigh of relief*

So I think I'm just going to wait it out... and if nothing comes up in another week, I'll take another one. But either way, I'll be sure to inform everyone (thanks for the help, by the way).

~Shinya

lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Good for you. And definitely, take another in a week if nothing's happened yet.

Thanks for keeping us posted.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Maypole/The ties that bind you will unwind/To free me one day/And everything decays..." - XTC, "The Wheel and the Maypole"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
babygirl69
Neophyte
Member # 10780

Icon 9 posted      Profile for babygirl69     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
can i get the information about the morning after pill PLEASE ASAP cuz i cant find it on the website ! thank u
Posts: 10 | Registered: Nov 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 3 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Try "emergency contraception."

Here are some links:
Emergency Contraception http://ec.princeton.edu/

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.