Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » I'm not really sure..

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: I'm not really sure..
iLuVzAcHaRy
Neophyte
Member # 11099

Icon 9 posted      Profile for iLuVzAcHaRy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay. First off, last month me and my boyfriend had unprotected sex three times. He pulled out every time.. (I know that doesn't help any but yeah) I don't know why we did this, we've always been so careful. But yeah, I thought I was pregnant because I was a day late so I got a test. The test came out negative and a day later I got my period. The thing is, I'm wondering if this was really my period, or if the test was wrong and I was just spotting or something. It was heavy just like my normal periods, so I'm not really sure. Well, after that we had PROTECTED sex a few times. Everytime we used a condom. Afterwards he checked every single one and none of them were broken or anything and we used them from the beginning to end every time. Now I am a day late. I'm not really sure what I'm asking. My boyfriend is picking me up a pregnancy test, and he will be here the 26th, so I guess I will see then. But until then, was that bleeding for sure my period or could it have been spotting?
Posts: 4 | From: Velva, ND USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
emsily0
Activist
Member # 2059

Icon 1 posted      Profile for emsily0     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
good on ya for starting to use condoms. the more consistently you use them, the less you will have to worry about pregnancy and STIs. if you have used condoms every time you have had sexual contact and they have never been used incorrectly or broken, you can rest assured that you have been protected from pregnancy.

as for being late, it's normal for girls' periods to be irregular for up to 5 years. it also sounds to me like maybe you have been stressing so much that it has made your period late - this is pretty common.

you should try to address the fact that you're petrified about pregnancy. honestly, you should maybe not be having sex if you're flipping out about this all the time. check out ready or not for more about this. it's ok to take a break if you're not 100% comfortable with everything.

you should also consider looking into a second birth control method, like birth control pills for example. that might set your mind at rest a little more.

em

------------------
Boys and girls in America have such a sad time together; sophistication demands that they submit to sex immediately without proper preliminary talk. Not courting talk - real straight talk about souls - for life is holy and every moment is precious. I heard the Denver and Rio Grande locamotive howling off in the mountains. I wanted to pursue my star further. -Kerouac

Posts: 786 | From: Washington, DC | Registered: Dec 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iLuVzAcHaRy
Neophyte
Member # 11099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iLuVzAcHaRy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well my period has never been late before. Almost always a day or two early. I haven't been worrying about it up until a few days ago, because before I was positive that I was safe. But now that it's late, I'm worrying.
Posts: 4 | From: Velva, ND USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As I understand it, you are saying you had clear risks from NOT having protected sex. And if you did not, then yes, you do.

If you took that pregnancy test at least two weeks after the last incident of unprotected sex, you can likely rely on its result. if it was sooner than that, I would retake the test when it has been at least two weeks.

It is possible to mistake implantation bleeding for a period.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
iLuVzAcHaRy
Neophyte
Member # 11099

Icon 1 posted      Profile for iLuVzAcHaRy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The bleeding wasn't light at all and it was exactly like my normal periods, with the cramps and everything. I took the test like 3 weeks after we had sex.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Then chances are, you got lucky this time.

But you certainly can take another test to be sure and be able to feel more secure about it.

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.