Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Friend's Suicide Attempts

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Friend's Suicide Attempts
ragdoll
Neophyte
Member # 10981

Icon 9 posted      Profile for ragdoll     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My friend does not get through a day w/ out slitting his wrists. He talks to people on hotlines and everything to help. The bad part is that he is my ex-boyfriend and I am still in love w/ him. It's so hard on me to see him do this to himself, I pretty much talk him out of it each time on the phone, but now each time it's getting harder and harder to get through to him. As you might be able to tell we are still close friends. He takes anti-depresent pills, because he is manic depressant, but it is not seeming to help any. His mom knows about suicide threats he has had earlier (she does not know about him slitting his wrists) and has not gotten him help. Just please post something helpful, I am clueless on what to do. Thank You.
Posts: 2 | From: Pittsburgh, Pennsylvania, USA | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 4 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is not something that you should have to be dealing with on your own, and I think you know that. This is an area for a professional, and you've talked to his mother, and she's not getting him help. Is there someone you can talk to at school about this? A counselor or a teacher? Because you should not be responsible for this - that's simply not fair to you.

If you feel that he is a danger to himself, and you've talked to his mother and to other adults you can trust, you can ALWAYS call the police. If someone is in danger of harming himself or others, this is the smart thing to do, and it's the scenario I would say you're heading towards.

You don't need to have all this stress on your shoulders - and I remember what feeling this feels like, I have been in a situation very close to yours - and he needs to get some help. Again, talk to a counselor or an adult you can trust - try your parents, too, if you need to - or call the police. This is something that needs to be dealt with as soon as possible.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Next time he does it, you call the ER.

Honestly.

It isn't always easy to decipher when someone is earnest about suicide and when they're trying to get help, but attemtpts at slitting your wrists can end in death regardless, so it is best to treat it as a medical emergency. And the folks there can do the job you can't -- they can determine what help he may need and get it for him.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.