Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » Possible STD?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Possible STD?
MissJackson
Neophyte
Member # 10932

Icon 5 posted      Profile for MissJackson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay..I'm a university student who has been in a relationship with an older man. We have chosen to use the pill as a contraceptive method, but have not used anything to prevent STD's etc. I guess I was under the naive assumption that if he was carrying something, I would "see" it...
But just last night I found some very small bumps on the inside left opening of my vagina. I have always had little tiny bumps (since I can remember as a young teenager) so I have always felt it was normal. But there was just about 3 small ones that seemed out of place...or perhaps I hadn't noticed them before....They're not painful...I have had no change in anything else in my body, and I don't appear to have any other symptoms...Can someone help?

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
PoetgirlNY
Activist
Member # 168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for PoetgirlNY     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you've been having sex without condoms all this time, it's a good idea to get a full STD/STI screen regardless of any symptoms.

------------------
You were never no locomotive, Sunflower, you were a sunflower!
-Allen Ginsberg

Posts: 1101 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
I guess I was under the naive assumption that if he was carrying something, I would "see" it...

It sounds like you've already figured out that that is indeed a very naive assumption. Many STDs can be present without the person showing any symptoms at all.

For example, chlamydia, a very common STD, is almost always "asymptomatic" (doesn't show any symptoms) in men, and commonly asymptomatic in women, but if it doesn't get diagnosed and treated, it can have devastating effects on your reproductive health.

So it's worth getting a complete screen (which is a good thing for anyone who's sexually active to do anyway) and checking out Safe, Sound & Sexy A Safer Sex How-To for future reference.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
MissJackson
Neophyte
Member # 10932

Icon 6 posted      Profile for MissJackson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Well, thankfully I did go and see a a doctor at the local sexual health center and she said that everything appears fine, but she will run some tests within a few weeks just to make sure and totally set my mind at ease. I have learned one thing though---when it comes to being upfront with the person I love...well...this is quite possibly the MOST important area...and we are planning on sitting down and talking about any and every detail we must to care for our sexual, physical, and mental health.

Posts: 3 | From: Canada | Registered: Dec 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
lemming
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 33

Icon 7 posted      Profile for lemming     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Glad to hear that, MissJackson. 8)

Hope things work out well for you.

------------------
Laurel Lemming
Scarleteen Advocate

"Ooh, I'll settle down with some old story/About a boy who's just like me/Thought there was love in everything and everyone, you're so naive!"-Belle and Sebastian, "Get Me Away From Here I'm Dying"

Posts: 3156 | From: Austin, Texas | Registered: Jun 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.