Donate Now
We've Moved! Check out our new boards.

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » HIV?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HIV?
Anybody911
Neophyte
Member # 9821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anybody911     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it at all possible to get HIV from having unprotected manual sex? For example if you had no major cuts on your hands or none at all, is it possible for semen to still get in your body? Also is it still possible to catch an STI or STD if your partner touched your genitals and didn't even touch his before hand? I'm not really seeing how exactly you get an STD through manual sex unless semen/fluids came in contact with your mouth/genitals. Thanks.

[This message has been edited by Anybody911 (edited 11-26-2002).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Gumdrop Girl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 568

Icon 3 posted      Profile for Gumdrop Girl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
It is more likely that a disease is going to be transmitted from your hand into the other person's body. Does this mean it's impossible for it to go the other way around? NO! This is why it is important to use rubber gloves.

Can there be virus particles or other germs on your partner's hand without him/her touching his/her genitals? YES!!! Hands are some of the dirtiest part of our bodies. And because we have a **circulatory system** that moves blood all around our bodies, an infection can start at one site and move all around your entire body.

So what can you do? you can go to your doctor or Planned Parenthood and get a full STD screen. Then on your way home, get gloves, lube, condoms and dental dams at the drug store. Then USE THEM PROPERLY. All the time. Every time. Also, get a follow-up STD screen 6 months after your first screen.

------------------
If the shoe fits, it's probably your size.

Posts: 12677 | From: Los Angeles, CA ... somewhere off the 10 | Registered: Jul 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Anybody911
Neophyte
Member # 9821

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Anybody911     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Alright, the second paragraph was alot of help and it's more clear to me now. You never exactly mentioned what virus's are capable of being transmitted that way though. I read the risk chart and HIV was not mentioned under "manual sex" but I just wanted to reassure that there was no way. However I think you've mistaken me for an ignorant teen who can't even remember how many sex partners they've had. I won't need dental dams, lube, or condoms because I keep my standards to that. I don't go past manual sex and I've only had one partner whom I'm still with. It will stay that way until I can handle other consequences. I highly doubt he even has HIV as he has reassured me many times that he has used condoms with his other partners. I know that's not a guarantee but what can you do but take his word? Sorry this was so long but I felt that parts of your post was a bit offensive and going into activities I haven't even participated in. But I do appreciate it; I know you're just warning me.

[This message has been edited by Anybody911 (edited 11-26-2002).]

Posts: 3 | Registered: Sep 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
However I think you've mistaken me for an ignorant teen who can't even remember how many sex partners they've had. I won't need dental dams, lube, or condoms because I keep my standards to that.

Being able to remember how many sex partners you've had doesn't magically protect you from STDs/STIs - nor does only having one sex partner. There are plenty of people who've contracted an STD from their first ever sexual partner.

It's very very unlikely that manual sex would transmit HIV (unless you had open cuts or sores on your hands). However, as you will see from A Quickie STD/STI Risk Assessment, unprotected manual sex can transmit a number of other STDs, many of which are much more widespread than HIV is, and two of which (herpes and HPV) are incurable.

This is one of the reasons why we recommend using latex gloves and water-based lube for manual sex. Plus it makes clean-up easier, it prevents nicks or abrasions from nails or rough skin, and it makes everything much smoother .

quote:
know that's not a guarantee but what can you do but take his word?

Well, you can practice safer sex, for a start .

quote:
Sorry this was so long but I felt that parts of your post was a bit offensive and going into activities I haven't even participated in.

Please bear in mind that we're not mind-readers. We don't know what your choices are, and what sexual activities you are or aren't involved in. But whatever sexual activities you choose, you need to make sure they're safe.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.