Donate Now
my profile | directory login | register | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Got Questions? Get Answers. » EXPERT ADVICE » Emergencies and Crises » i need answers about HPV right now please!!

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: i need answers about HPV right now please!!
*BrownEyedGirl*
Neophyte
Member # 7845

Icon 9 posted      Profile for *BrownEyedGirl*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Alright... so the other day i went in for a pap smear and guess what? the doctor called a few hours ago and it's abnormal... and apparently i have hpv. so she explains that i need to go in for like a biopsy thing and get something frozen... what is going on??? i asked her some questions but i was still letting the whole sexual transmitted disease thing sink in. I'm really freaked out. so naturally i decided to read up on it myself instead of waiting for the next doctor's appointment. I read in your infection section about hpv and it's making me even more worried. For instance the doctor acted like it's no big deal... "we can take care of it." But it's not curable right?? not to mention can't i give it to my partner? i mean i'm getting married next month... but does that mean i shouldn't have sex with him ever again?? or for instane the article said that it can be transmitted to an infant in childbirth. does that mean i shouldn't have children???? i'm really freaked out and would like to know any answers that anyone could give me. thanks
Posts: 9 | From: San Diego, Ca, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
-Jill
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 5375

Icon 1 posted      Profile for -Jill     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Genital Warts
Abnormal Pap Test
HPV and Pregnancy
HPV and Having Children
HPV

Please keep in mind that we are all volunteer here and asking for answers that you could have found by searching the internet (like I did) "right now" is a bit rude.

That being said I hope all goes well for you.

[This message has been edited by ookuotoe (edited 11-04-2002).]

Posts: 3641 | From: Truckee, CA, US | Registered: Sep 2001  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*BrownEyedGirl*
Neophyte
Member # 7845

Icon 8 posted      Profile for *BrownEyedGirl*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Rude? heh... Let me ask a question. Isn't this site supposed to help educate teenagers? Is this just one of the many sites that teenagers, such as myself, use as just ONE of the places they start looking for answers at? People come here asking stupid questions all the time... but they're freaked. Yeah it's easy to say, "hey why are you wasting my time with these questions. Find out for yourself." But I have yet to see anyone say that or implied that. Until now. What is rude, is telling a girl that she is rude for asking help. At one point in time, this is what this site offered- help and support.
Posts: 9 | From: San Diego, Ca, USA | Registered: Apr 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
logic_grrl
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 8067

Icon 1 posted      Profile for logic_grrl     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
No-one's saying you can't ask questions.

But ookuotoe's point is that you need to remember that we're all volunteers and that we try to answer questions as soon as possible anyway. Most questions in here seem to receive answers in 24 hours or less - if it's more, it's usually because no-one has the information to hand and someone is busy researching an answer.

So demanding answers "right now" and posting your message in the "Emergencies and Crises" section when it clearly isn't an immediate emergency is, as ookutoe says "a bit rude".

This section is clearly marked "Immediate emergencies and crises ONLY". No-one is going to die or be harmed if you don't get an answer to questions about your future children within a few hours.

Posts: 6944 | From: UK | Registered: May 2002  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Milke
Activist
Member # 961

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Milke     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Love, I know that. It's more the How than the What here that was being referred to; those of us who volunteer generally put a good deal of work into it, spend a lot of time here, and do a lot of research, and that can lead to being sensitive over implications that we're not being helpful, whether intended or not.

You're dealing with genital warts, which are pretty similar to warts elsewhere on the body in many ways. It's a virus, so no, it can't be cured, but it doesn't necessarily have to be a big deal. Warts that appear can be removed, and while they will recur, they'll just be something you have to deal with, much as you might have a tendency to, say, back pain, or ear infections. They can increase risk of cervical cancer, and there's not much you can do about that, except to get regular pelvic exams, which you seem to do be doing anyway. You can transit HPV to your partner, you'll want to look over the articles linked above, and discuss it with him. And you can give to any babies you may have, too, but that's something you'll want to talk to your doctor about if and when you become pregnant. What's happened has happened, and it's a very common infection, really. What you need to do know is learn how to care for yourself, but there's no point in worrying or regreting, you haven't ruined your life or anything silly like that.

------------------
Milke, SSBD, RATS

Better living through Ctrl+C and Ctrl+V

Posts: 5122 | From: I *came* from the land of ice and snow | Registered: Aug 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
*BrownEyedGirl*
Neophyte
Member # 7845

Icon 1 posted      Profile for *BrownEyedGirl*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Thankyou. And I'm sorry if I annoyed anyone with any of my comments. I know you all work hard and you all do a great job. Also, I'm sorry for posting in the emergency and crises section. At the time it seemed like a slight crises getting a call saying, "hi you have hpv, possible cancer, oh and you're stuck with it for the rest of your life." And then on top of it all, finding out like a few days before that that I'm pregnant doesn't help one bit. Hence the question about my future children. I'm sorry for making the whole thing a big deal, and thanks for your time.
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post   Reply With Quote 
Honey, it IS a big deal and it is perfectly fine for you to feel it is a big deal and posting it here.

But what is being asked is simply understanding that walking into any place with free, unpaid services and saying "Help me right now!" (which isn't a request, actually, it's an order) carries a certain tone. And it's clear you get that, so it's all okay. Hard stuff happens, we panic, and we feel need and express it, perhaps with less thought to how than we might when we aren't in a panic. No biggie, really.

Besides the articles that have been linked, talk to your doctor. You pay them, and in turn, they owe you answers to your questions when you ask, and are best equipped to give them most of the time because they know the specifics of your case (for instance, if when you're talking about "freezing" if you're talking about wart removal on external genitalia or about portions of your cervix).

What hasn't been mentioned here so far is making sure your PARTNER gets in for testing. Now, HPV testing for men is pretty iffy at best, but a doctor certainly can look for irregularities, and it can potentially be detected if he has it himself, which would be a possibility if this is the partner you have been sexually active with while you were diagnosed. If this has been your sole partner for quite some time, I'd say it's pretty likely.

You'll also find a support group (in the Support groups section) for those with STIs and STDs needing such support.

------------------
Heather Corinna
Editor and Founder, Scarleteen

My epitaph should read: "She worked herself into this ground."
-- Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Posts: 67994 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Quick Reply
HTML is not enabled.
UBB Code™ is enabled.
UBB Code™ Images not permitted.
Instant Graemlins

Post New Topic  Post A Reply Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.