Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Is this a pregnancy symptom?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Is this a pregnancy symptom?
TheNotMe
Neophyte
Member # 110467

Icon 5 posted      Profile for TheNotMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello.
I've heard alot about the Nausea/Vomiting symptom which is often called "Morning Sickness" that pregnant women go through.
My question is, when this is really a pregnancy symptom, does it happen everyday or two days? does it happen more than one time a day (the feel of needing to vomit)?

If a woman feels that she needs to vomit once a week or sometimes once in two weeks (or more, but no where near a constant daily feeling), is this considered a pregnancy symptom? considering that she -thinks- she isn't pregnant.

[ 07-31-2014, 04:07 PM: Message edited by: TheNotMe ]

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ultimately, as we explain in our content on the site, the whole idea of pregnancy symptoms is pretty busted. That is because there is little to nothing that is not just as common with early pregnancy as there is with people in general. Like, for instance, people getting stomach bugs, having digestive issues, or experiencing nausea due to stress.

The only sound way for people to establish pregnancy is through testing or an exam.

It sounds like one thing you can ask your girlfriend to do to help you out here is to maybe share less of every single thing happening with her body right now.

As we discussed in your other thread, it is her right to choose not to test, and fair for her not to try and compensate for your own issues. At the same time, I also think it is fair for you to ask her to not do things, like sharing her log of vomit [Razz] , with you that you know, and she knows, freak out out, and are not things you can help her with in the first place.

If she has access to healthcare right now, what she wants to do, and can do, to find out why she feels so nauseated lately, is to see her doctor.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheNotMe
Neophyte
Member # 110467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheNotMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by Heather:
Ultimately, as we explain in our content on the site, the whole idea of pregnancy symptoms is pretty busted. That is because there is little to nothing that is not just as common with early pregnancy as there is with people in general. Like, for instance, people getting stomach bugs, having digestive issues, or experiencing nausea due to stress.

The only sound way for people to establish pregnancy is through testing or an exam.

It sounds like one thing you can ask your girlfriend to do to help you out here is to maybe share less of every single thing happening with her body right now.

As we discussed in your other thread, it is her right to choose not to test, and fair for her not to try and compensate for your own issues. At the same time, I also think it is fair for you to ask her to not do things, like sharing her log of vomit [Razz] , with you that you know, and she knows, freak out out, and are not things you can help her with in the first place.

If she has access to healthcare right now, what she wants to do, and can do, to find out why she feels so nauseated lately, is to see her doctor.

You are correct, it is quite a dilemma I am in. From one side, as you said, it is her choice not to do tests, from the other point, she keeps telling me about those "side-effects". However, in order to be fair to her, she even says it and then immediately afterwards says "Don't worry, it is not what you are thinking about."
But you know, seeing anything near a symptom, gets my anxiety issue (yes, it is clear it is MY anxiety issue) just snaps out.
It is good to discover this anxiety at this age (21) where real life is just about to start, rather than in the deep stages.
Thanks for being there, Heather, (and thanks for not being angry at me being so fearful.)

Posts: 14 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Again, though, I would suggest you ask her not to keep sharing with you. It is not something she has to share, not something you can do anything about, and something she can easily do to keep your anxiety from being triggered.

It is your issue, for sure, but as someone who cares for you, asking her not to do something so minor and otherwise irrelevant is very reasonable, and really asks nothing of her at all, other than for some basic sensitivity around your feelings.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
TheNotMe
Neophyte
Member # 110467

Icon 1 posted      Profile for TheNotMe     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
This is certainly an option I could do. But, I am being a strategist here. I'd rather know what is happening (and get a few punches here and there) rather than be completely intellegence-less, if you know what I mean.
It is like the urge to keep an eye on the enemy (which is, in this case, possible unwanted pregnancy).
I truly believe it will harm me more not to know rather than know.

Heather
Member # 3

Well, you -- and she -- can't know why she is vomiting unless she sees a doctor or other healthcare provider.

Also? When you have anxiety, this kind of thing often IS "the enemy." Keeping an eye like this is what increases anxiety, rather than reducing it, and that is very well documented and supported in education and information about managing and treating anxiety. You undoubtedly have more than your fair share right now: I suggest you do what you can to reduce it with the things you can do.

Like, you know, asking someone who clearly knows what kind of thoughts this creates for you not to share her every-vomit. [Smile]

[ 07-31-2014, 04:57 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.