Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Could I have had a miscarriage?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could I have had a miscarriage?
KindlyInsane
Neophyte
Member # 95892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KindlyInsane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I was supposed to start my period on the 17th of this month and I did. But this particular period had been very heavy and VERY painful.. So bad that I was on the floor crying. The next morning, there was nothing. No blood. No pain. And then the day after I had spotting of some light and some brown. Could I have had a very early miscarriage? My boyfriend and I have had unprotected sex a couple times before this. I read that they usually take 2 weeks.. But this just doesn't seem normal..
Posts: 5 | From: Missouri | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Kindly,

Just to clarify, did this period last for multiple days, or was it only one day?

I would also advise that, since you have been having unprotected intercourse, getting a pregnancy test just to rule that out as something that is still occurring.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KindlyInsane
Neophyte
Member # 95892

Icon 1 posted      Profile for KindlyInsane     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The period lasted for one day, stopped the next and started again the next day, but it was light and some brown coloring was in it. That lasted for two days.

I probably should've told you that I did take a test last night, but it was negative.

Posts: 5 | From: Missouri | Registered: May 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, thanks for clarifying, and glad to hear you took a test [Smile] . As long as you took it according to the directions, you can trust the results.

Unfortunately, there's no way for us to know what the bleeding you experienced was. It could have been variation in your cycle, but if it's worrying you I would suggest checking in with a healthcare provider who can make sure that nothing else is up.

Also, are you and your partner up to date on your STI testing?

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KindlyInsane
Neophyte
Member # 95892

I was recently tested and I am starting birth control pills. Test results were negative so I know I am STI free. I don't know when his last test was.

Do you think I should take another pregnancy test in a couple weeks just to be safe?

Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just FYI, if you had recently miscarried, that test would have been positive.

After a pregnancy ends -- including with miscarriage -- it's most common to get positive tests still for a few weeks, sometimes even longer.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
KindlyInsane
Neophyte
Member # 95892

Oh okay, thank you!
viennessy
Neophyte
Member # 110047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viennessy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am having a similar situation, although mine has a variable that could have changed things a bit.

I stopped my pill June 16 after an appendectomy procedure. There were last 5 remaining pills in the pack that were missed. June 21 I had what I assumed is my withdrawal bleeding from the missed pills that lasted for 5 days. June 29, my boyfriend and I had protected sex but he ejaculated inside me. After the deed, we found out that the condom broke. July 1 I went to my ob about the situation and she told me to take Nordette pills (4 pills then another 4 after 12 hours).

We had sex again on July 8 (protected and pulled out), but this time he didn't ejaculate at all (lost the mood after I threw a really funny joke). I had dark brown period that lasted about 4-5 days starting on July 15 that weren't so many. I assumed that this was probably the withdrawal bleed from Nordette. After that I had stretchy mucus and thought I was ovulating.

Then Monday night July 28, I saw that there's a discharge on my undies, dark brown and kinda sticky but just an inch big. I thought thay finally, this is my real period! I checked Monday morning and I literally soiled my undies and shorts, and for the whole day I had really heavy bleeding. But the next day, I didn't soil my napkin at all. All I saw were tiny spots of brown and pink on my napkin and no blood on my pee. When wiping, that's when I see pink/red blood. I noticed that when I move so much that's when the blood comes out but just a bit. To relieve myself, I took a pregnancy test this afternoon and the result came out negative. I am having the symptoms when being on period, like tender breasts and hot flushes. I also have this weird thing on my throat like it's always dry. Btw I started a new pack of pill yesterday.

I wonder why it happened, is it because of my messed up cycle and hormonal imbalance? Should I take a blood pregnancy test to make sure that I'm really not pregnant or was the urine pregnancy test reliable enough? Thank you. [Smile]

Posts: 11 | From: Valencia, Spain | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viennessy
Neophyte
Member # 110047

Icon 1 posted      Profile for viennessy     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Correction, I checked Tuesday* morning and I literally soiled my undies.
Posts: 11 | From: Valencia, Spain | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
A urine test would be reliable at this point; I don't see a reason to take a blood test.
Keep in mind that any sort of emergency contraception use can cause some irregularities in bleeding, so that may be why the bleeding you've noticed hasn't been what you usually experience.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viennessy
Neophyte
Member # 110047

Thank you Molias for your response. I just sort of freaked out wondering what kind of bleeding this is, because Google has lots of forums that says it might be IB and it scares me because I'm not prepared for pregnancy. But reading through some posts here, I'd say it shed some light on my situation. Also, I've been having heartburn since the time this period arrived, could that be a cause for concern? Although I've had severe heartburn before but never during my period.
viennessy
Neophyte
Member # 110047

Thank you Molias for your response. I just sort of freaked out wondering what kind of bleeding this is, because Google has lots of forums that says it might be IB and it scares me because I'm not prepared for pregnancy. But reading through some posts here, I'd say it shed some light on my situation. Also, I've been having heartburn since the time this period arrived, could that be a cause for concern? Although I've had severe heartburn before but never during my period.
viennessy
Neophyte
Member # 110047

Oops sorry for the repeated replies, having problems with my network.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Just because something is on the internet, doesn't mean it's true. [Smile]

You've taken a pregnancy test, and gotten a negative result. The irregular bleeding could be caused by the fact that you've not been taking your pills regularly due to surgery, and the extra dose of hormones from emergency contraception: as Molias said, that is a possible side effect.

As for the heartburn, that's something to check in with a healthcare provider about, particularly if it's continued for several days.

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
viennessy
Neophyte
Member # 110047

Thank you so much for your replies, it's definitely because of the pills. I wish every girl knows so much about how their bodies function so we won't have to worry too much about it.

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.