Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Health Question

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Health Question
dramaqueen16
Neophyte
Member # 110485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dramaqueen16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Dear Scarleteen,
I recently had my first boyfriend, the "relationship" only lasted two days (we where on vacation and don't live in the same place). The guy told me he was not a virgin and for some reason I freaked out about catching an STD from him, though all we did was kiss and excuse my language, "feel each other up" (both fully dressed), because he told me he didn't use protection. I then read your article on assessing risks and realized i could not get a serious STD from kissing, but it did say something about mononucleosis. All this happened just over a week ago, and for the past two days i've been feeling feverish and my throat hurts. So my question is: are these symptoms of mono or do i just have a cold or something? I realize you can't give me an accurate answer because can't know without seeing me ect... but I would appreciate your opinion. Thanks for your time!

Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
As you seem to know, we could not possibly know.

Mono is something a healthcare provider determines through a throat culture, like they do to find out if someone has strep throat.

If you are having high fevers, that's always a reason to check in with a healthcare provider. So, if they get higher than a couple of degrees, the feeling in your throat changes, or you start to feel sick in other ways, best to see a doctor.

And, of course, if you are ill, it may or may not have had anything to do with this person. If you were on vacation and in something like a plane, for example, it's very common for people to pick up colds or flu.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
dramaqueen16
Neophyte
Member # 110485

Icon 1 posted      Profile for dramaqueen16     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Ok thank you I'll make sure to check with a doctor if it gets worse!
Posts: 17 | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.