Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Confused

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Confused
pink35
Activist
Member # 107329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have a cold sore in my mouth, and I gave my boyfriend a blow job. How likely is it that he will get herpes from it? I'm really nervous about this and I know he is too
Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink35
Activist
Member # 107329

Icon 1 posted      Profile for pink35     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
quote:
Originally posted by pink35:
I have a cold sore in my mouth, and I gave my boyfriend a blow job. How likely is it that he will get herpes from it? I'm really nervous about this and I know he is too

Posts: 58 | Registered: Apr 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If you are having an active sore, and you had unprotected oral sex, it is possible that you have transmitted HSV to your partner. However, we cannot tell you how likely that is.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink35
Activist
Member # 107329

When would we find out about it and is there anything we can do now? My cold sore is in the inside and bottom part of my mouth so would that change it?
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Are you sure this is a herpes sore rather than, for example, a mouth ulcer?

If it's a herpes sore: there's nothing you can do after having unprotected contact. For the future, if you have an active cold sore, you'll want to pass on sexual contact involving your mouth until it heals up, or use a barrier like a condom during oral sex to reduce the chance of transmitting the virus. Once you've had the virus, it stays in your body, so even when you don't have an active sore there's a chance of transmitting the virus. If that's not a chance you and a partner want to take, again, the way to reduce that risk is to use barriers.

More people than not carry the herpes virus: many people pick it up in childhood. The only way to know if someone has the herpes virus is if they have an outbreak and have it diagnosed by a healthcare professional while they have that active outbreak. Some people don't show any symptoms after acquiring the virus. For the majority of people, having herpes is not serious; if your boyfriend doesn't have a health condition where his immune system is compromised, there's no need for you both to have big worry about this.

Have you already seen our information about herpes? If not, this might help you out some:
The STI Files: Herpes

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink35
Activist
Member # 107329

I think this is a canker sore so is that completely different and can't cause herpes?
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
They're completely different. Canker sores are nothing to do with herpes: the herpes virus causes cold sores, not canker sores. Canker sores aren't contagious.

How about checking out this info?
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/canker-sore/basics/definition/con-20021262
http://www.mayoclinic.org/diseases-conditions/cold-sore/basics/definition/con-20021310

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
pink35
Activist
Member # 107329

Okay thank you!
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

You're very welcome [Smile]

Just adding, too, that oral sex does present risks of STI transmission, and that most often people with STIs don't have symptoms. Using barriers greatly reduces the risk of STI transmission. For the scoop on barriers, check out All the Barriers! All the Time!

--------------------

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.