Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Periodic guilt

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Periodic guilt
bigbywolf
Neophyte
Member # 110851

Icon 1 posted      Profile for bigbywolf     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
My relationship is by all means healthy. My boyfriend is patient, takes any signs of not wanting to do anything and listens carefully and absolutely has my trust. When I get my period, I feel hugely guilty that we can't have intercourse, even though he's never disappointed by this and looks after me during the time of menstruation. I just feel like a lot of articles say ludicrous things like if you don't have sex at least a few times a week, your relationship is going to go downhill. Because of this, I try and do everything in my power to make sure sex is at least weekly (this isn't me just having sex out of internal pressure, I greatly enjoy it). Is there any reason I'm getting feelings of guilt when I can't have sex? I'm so conflicted about what is a "good" amount of sex for two partners who have orientations within they do feel sexual attraction. As for us two in particular, we have almost equal sexual drives, which helps with the healthiness of this relationship. Why has there ever been an "amount" of sex per week dictated to say that that's what makes a healthy couple? Is there any truth to it?
Posts: 16 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
The only amount of sex that is ideal for a healthy relationship is the amount that everyone in the relationship feels comfortable with.

People are so individual, and every relationship is different, too. So, there really is no way that anyone, let alone an article in a magazine, can know what is best for you and your partner. So, as long as you and your partner feel happy with the amount of sex you are having, then you are having the ideal amount of sex.

That said, there is no reason why you cannot have sex while you are menstruating. This is really a comfort thing - if you do not feel comfortable having sex while you are menstruating, that is one thing. But there is no health reason, or anything, that prevents sex during menstruation. So if you and your partner would like to have sex during your period, you totally can!

[ 07-19-2014, 09:25 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.