Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Sexually Active?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Sexually Active?
soulsurfer13
Neophyte
Member # 109784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soulsurfer13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have an OBGYN appointment 2 days from now and I'm scared. I'm going back for a check up because 3 months ago I got put on a low dose birth control and I've been spotting and I'm guessing she is going to chance it.
Anyways, yesterday my boyfriend fingered me. No penis into vagina. I'm also still a virgin.
So...does this count as "Sexually Active"? I just wanted to answer my OBGYN correctly when she asks me if I am.

--------------------
soulsurfer13

Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, manual sex is sex, so you are sexually active.

Do you want to talk about why you are scared of your appointment?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soulsurfer13
Neophyte
Member # 109784

Icon 1 posted      Profile for soulsurfer13     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm not really scared of the appointment, its just I didn't think that fingering was considered as "Sexually Active". I mean, there is no risk of pregnancy just from fingering right?

--------------------
soulsurfer13

Posts: 16 | From: USA | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
From a medical perspective and a sex education perspective, yes, fingering is sexually active, because manual sex (fingering) is a kind of sex. An OBGYN won't - and certainly shouldn't! - just be thinking about pregnancy, but about your whole reproductive health. For example, some STIs can be transmitted by manual sex; so you can see how having had manual sex is relevant medical information.

A doctor should clarify with you what kinds of sex you've had and not just assume, but if you like, when they ask about you being sexually active, you can also tell the doctor you've had manual sex and you have not yet had any kind of sex that poses pregnancy risks (if that's true).

Some people in some social or cultural situations don't consider manual sex as being sexually active. Obviously, people can think of their own sexual lives as they choose to, but certainly when we're talking about health or sex education, thinking of manual sex as "not sex" is incorrect and doesn't give people the tools and framework they need to best take care of their health and to choose and live the sexual life that's best for them.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soulsurfer13
Neophyte
Member # 109784

So there is no risk of pregnancy from just fingering?

--------------------
soulsurfer13

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Please take a look here: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
soulsurfer13
Neophyte
Member # 109784

Okay thank you so much! I am no longer worried(:

--------------------
soulsurfer13

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.