Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Could she get pregnant?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Could she get pregnant?
jayy007182
Neophyte
Member # 110764

Icon 11 posted      Profile for jayy007182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So i need to clear this up i have been on yahoo answers and could not get a straight answer so i came here where i know the answers are always genuine! my girlfriend an I are both 17. We decided to have sex for the first time yesterday. We were both virgins till yesterday and we used a condom while having sex. We did not have sex for long just in a couple of different positions for a few seconds each time to try it out but stopped as she felt some pain because it was her first time. Anyway, she was wondering if there could be a pregnancy risk or basically is worried now that she could get pregnant because she was ready but always worries. We used a condom, i did not cum inside her or anywhere near her vagina and after i checked the condom after sex for any breakages and there was absolutely no breaks what so ever. We did nothing sexual for the rest of the day or today. Will she be fine? and what can she expect after her first time having sex. I am just looking for a genuine answer please, thanks in advance.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So, in one year of use, condoms are 98% effective in perfect use, and around 85% effective in typical use. When withdrawal is added, like you did, you basically double that effectiveness, which gets you as close to complete effectiveness as possible in perfect use and still close to that even with typical use.

When people engage in intercourse, there is always some risk of pregnancy, never none. But when people use methods of contraception, as you did, those risks are reduced. You can see from the stats above just how much.

You might want to also have your partner look at those figures, so, moving forward, she can figure out if she feels good about these methods, or if she would rather look into other methods with even higher effectiveness rates.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayy007182
Neophyte
Member # 110764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayy007182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
from the stats shes looking at basically little to no chance of getting pregnant from this one time. This should ease her worrying a little bit, thanks a lot.
Posts: 7 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yep, exactly.

But if she'd like to take even less of a risk than that teeny-tiny one, she might want to look into more effective (and more goodproof) things to use with condoms than withdrawal, such as a hormonal method or IUD.

If she wants help looking into the options, you could share this with her: Birth Control Bingo!

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
jayy007182
Neophyte
Member # 110764

Icon 1 posted      Profile for jayy007182     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
That will be a good help ill look into it with her and see what she thinks, it was only a once off for now to try it out next time will be more prepared and she will more than likely be on the pill. Thanks again.
Heather
Member # 3

You're welcome. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.