Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Moving condoms and the Plan B pill?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Moving condoms and the Plan B pill?
gala52843
Neophyte
Member # 110726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gala52843     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'm sorry if these have been asked before, but I need to talk about my own experience. I'm very scared.

Last week I had sex for the first time. It was with my boyfriend of two years. It was his first time as well. We are both 16, and we both have discussed and understand the risks of sex. We have both been tested for STIs and we are healthy.
During sex, my boyfriend tried pulling out but he wasn't exactly able to. After having sex, my boyfriend said that there was fluid at the base of the condom and a bit in his pubic hair around that area as well, leading him to believe that the condom had moved and released some semen. Since this was our first time, we haven't really experienced with different types of condoms, so there wasn't a guarantee it was the best type for him.
I did some research and found that usually that fluid at the base is vaginal discharge or even sweat. I also found that some minimal movement sometimes happens with the condom. If, however, it did happen to be semen at the base, do I have a high chance of being pregnant?
I am on a birth control pill. Unfortunately, I accidentally skipped my pill the day before we had sex. After realizing I skipped my pill, we were very unnerved and decided to buy an emergency contraceptive because we were not sure what the fluid was and we really did not want to take any chances. This leads to my next question: Is it possible to take a Plan B pill too soon?
I feel like I may have taken the pill too early because I took it within 2 hours of us having sex. I know that it says to take it as soon as possible, but I feel like I did, in fact, take it too soon.
I also read that the Plan B pill makes a female's body start menstruating early. I'm not sure if that is true, but if it is, I haven't started my period yet. I should start soon. Would the Plan B pill mess with my menstrual cycle, though? I read the instructions, but there wasn't anything there that exactly answers that question.

I don't regret losing my virginity, but I am scared. I am trying to keep hoping for the best, but I can't hide that I am scared and am not sure what to do. This whole scare is a huge deterrent for me.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Welcome to the boards, gala52843. [Smile]

You can't take Plan B too soon, no. And it is most effective when taken within 24 hours.

Plan B doesn't usually make anyone menstruate (or, since you're on the pill, in your case, get a withdrawal bleed) early, but sometimes it can cause spotting or other bleeding, and throw your menstrual cycles a bit out of whack for a couple of months.

Obviously, we have even less of a way of knowing than either of you per if the condom was or wasn't put on properly, and so, if that fluid was semen or, as is more common, your fluids, lubricant, or both.

But you did everything right here: in the event your pill lost effectiveness due to missing one, and the condom wasn't used properly, you backed it all up with Plan B.

So, all there is to do now is wait this out some, and be sure moving forward you do take your pills on time, and that you both know how to use condoms correctly and do that. That is, of course, if you want to engage in intercourse again soon. If you feel too freaked now, or found out there are risks you just do not want to, or feel able to, deal with, it's certainly always okay to put that on hold or nix it, too.

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi gala,

So, as long as a condom does not break or come off all the way, you can assume it did it's job. Plus, you still have some protection from your pill, and you took Plan B very soon after having sex (to answer your question, the early you take Plan B, the more effective it is). So, while we can't say that what you did carried no risk of pregnancy (intercourse of this kind always poses some risk), we can say that you used three birth control methods, meaning your chances of being pregnant are very, very, very low.

You're correct that Plan B can make your menstrual cycle wonky. You can read more about it here:
Emergency Contraception (Plan B or the Morning-After-Pill)

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gala52843
Neophyte
Member # 110726

Icon 1 posted      Profile for gala52843     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you so much.
This helps me out a lot right now. I am extremely freaked out. I am absolutely putting sex on a hold for a while. Now that I've experienced it, I can live without it. And I can assure you, after this scare I am practically going to worship my birth control.

Posts: 3 | Registered: Jul 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I'd really love to see a birth control shrine. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
gala52843
Neophyte
Member # 110726

So, just so I can understand better.
You said the emergency contraceptive can mess up the menstrual cycle for a couple months.
Does that mean it can even make me miss a period?
The reason I started my birth control was to regulate my periods because they were so irregular and unpredictable. Even now they are a bit irregular, but they still come around the same time each cycle.
I currently have until Sunday, which is when I start my new birth control pack, and I've usually started by this time.
Should I go ahead and be preparing to buy pregnancy tests or go to my local clinic?
I'm thinking I might be stressing so much that I'm screwing up things internally as well.

Heather
Member # 3

It might make your withdrawal bleeds late, yes.

Whether or not tests are something you feel like you want or want in advance is up to you.

But for the most part, right now, all there really is to do is wait and take care of yourself in the meantime.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.