Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Period question?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Period question?
LanaBanana
Neophyte
Member # 110473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LanaBanana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hey guys,
I have posted here and I know what I did has no risk of pregnancy. I got my period on time 10 days after the dry humping and I got my second period on time yesterday. I am not worried about me being pregnant anymore, because it's too late for implantation and the negative tests have told me so. But I just have a question about my period

Since I was so anxious waiting for this period to come, and was not convinced that there was no risk for pregnancy, could this anxiety and stress be the reason why my period is not as heavy as before?

I know stress/anxiety can delay a period, and it's a good thing it didn't happen to me, I'd be freaking out! But since it didn't delay my period, could it have made it lighter instead?

I'm in my second day today, there is blood, especially when I wipe (red, dark red, blood clots) and in the toilet. But not so much on my pad..it looks like just red spots. But I know it's my period because it feels like it, and I def see it in the bathroom. Just not on my pad.

Thank you [Smile]

Posts: 19 | From: Santee | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, how light or periods are varies a good deal throughout life, and for an awful lot of factors: changes or variations in how we eat, sleep, what activity we get, the weather, our stress levels and how we are -- or are not -- managing stress, normal fluctuations in our hormonal cycles (and not just the hormones related to reproduction), the works.

Chances are, had you been keeping a record of all your periods up until now? You would look back at a good deal of variation. You're just likely so observant of it now, this time, because you have something you're worried about that is attached to it.

(Just FYI, menses is not something that can clot, like blood can from a wound. What people are usually seeing when they think they are seeing clots is either thick discharge mixed with menses, pieces of endometrial lining that came out more solid than fluid, or both.)

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LanaBanana
Neophyte
Member # 110473

Icon 1 posted      Profile for LanaBanana     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thank you for such a quick reply!

And what you say does make sense, I feel like since I was anxiously waiting for my period, I'm being more observant of it and how much it fills a pad.

Before, I never had to worry since I was in no way sexually active.

And yes, what I'm describing is not much of a blood clot, but it does look like super thick discharge

It mostly sinks down in the middle of the toilet (sorry if tmi)

This IS for sure my period right?

Thank you again, your information gives me reassurance [Smile]

Posts: 19 | From: Santee | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I can't talk to your uterus, so I have absolutely no way of knowing if you are having your period or not. [Smile]

You have had your periods for as long as you have had them, and you are the person most likely to know when you are having them. If you are uncertain or have concerns, your next stop is to see your sexual/reproductive healthcare provider.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LanaBanana
Neophyte
Member # 110473

There's no other explanation for me since I have not done anything sexual since the dry humping and I am sure I am not pregnant
It's been 38 days since and I last took a pregnancy test a week ago and it was negative
So I'm sure his is my period, since it came on time.

Thank you so much Heather, I'll be sure to come back if I have more concerns [Smile]

Heather
Member # 3

I'd say if you have more concerns about this whole thing, period, then it seems like the next best thing for us to discuss is either the possibility of anxiety -- as something you may need qualified help with -- or working through how you feel about the sexual choice you made, and perhaps rethinking what you feel up to handling moving forward. [Smile]

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

LanaBanana
Neophyte
Member # 110473

Yes! I'd like to talk about anxiety.
I'm 21 years old, when I was younger, my aunt passed away from cancer. I was really close to her and the day after her passing, I suffered from major anxiety. I used to think there was always something from with me. I even thought I had cancer at some point just from a headache. I've always dealt with medical anxiety. I always look up my symptoms and next thing you know, I'm diagnosing myself with a brain tumor or cancer. It went away and recently came back, I'd say about two moths ago.
I do not handle stress very well, and college did not help at all. With college courses, financial issues, and my mom bragging in my ear all the time that she needs help with money took a huge toll on me. It affected my health
Right after that, I had a health scare to wear I went to the emergency room for kidney pain. They did a CT scan and said everything was normal. They said that it was most likely stress
I had a check up with my doctor and the first thing he asked was if I suffered from anxiety, and I told him not so much. He also recommended me to see a psychologist, and anxiety could be the reason why I was experiencing what I thought was "kidney pain"
And now this pregnancy scare, definitely triggered my anxiety.
It was all I can think of NAND I spent money on pregnancy tests just to ease my mind.

I know this was long, and I apologize. But after re reading this , I think it's clear hat I do have an anxiety problem. And I know it could interfere with my sexual relationship. I'd like to have a sexual connection with my boyfriend, I am a virgin and he isn't. But I fear that even with protection, or birth control, I will always have the anxiety of the possibility of being pregnant.

How can I move forward with this anxiety?

Heather
Member # 3

I'm so sorry to hear about the loss of your aunt.

Anxiety is a mental health issue, so what people generally need to get help with it is mental healthcare from a qualified provider. Is that a kind of healthcare you have ever sought out?

It sounds like a doctor has referred you to that care in the past (and also made what sounds like a pretty sound assessment of anxiety), but I can't figure out if you followed up with that referral or not.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

LanaBanana
Neophyte
Member # 110473

No, I didn't follow up.
At this moment they are taking me and my mom off of the current health insurance that we have and we are switching to a different one. However, I've done some research at my college and they provide free personal counseling for people who are realistic stress or anxiety. I'm looking foward to doing that.
I just feel that ever since this pregnancy scare, my anxiety has been so bad. Clearly I know I'm not ready for sex, and what I did wasn't even sex. And this anxiety is not helping my body in any way. I'm always tired and I'm currently on vacation right now with family and I don't even want to do anything.
I can see it taking a toll on my period too, it's not as heavy as it thought I would be...
But I already have the thought of me being pregnant out of my head, and I don't want to think that again

Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Lana,

I think pursuing the counseling options at your college is a really sound decision to make. Is that something you'll be able to access fairly soon?

I'm sorry that you're feeling out of sorts (anxiety can be really draining and that sucks). I'll link you to our self-care piece, since doing some of that may help mitigate some of the stress you're feeling right now (although it's by no means is it meant to replace seeing a therapist).

Self-Care a La Carte

If you're having really severe exhaustion you may also want to check in with a health care provider just to make sure there isn't any physical stuff that's happening on top of the stress that might be effecting you.

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
LanaBanana
Neophyte
Member # 110473

Absolutely, I'm starting school around August. So I'll definitely be looking foward to counseling since it's something I really need help on.
I clicked on your link and it was extremely helpful! Especially before bed I was able to take several deep breaths and it helped my mind calm down.
My exhaustion isn't severe, I know it's from anxiety because when I have something on my mind, it completely drains me.
What I am concerned about thought is my nausea.
I know it's from anxiety because when my adrenaline rises, so does the nausea!

Is this common for people who deal with anxiety?

Heather
Member # 3

By all means, stress of any kind -- and as you know, anxiety is SERIOUS stress -- can tend to cause people stomach upset, and a range of other physical symptoms.

One small thing I might suggest around that is to find yourself an herbal tea that you like. If you pick one with ginger, not only can you help calm yourself by the ritual of making and drinking something without any stimulants, you can also get something into your tummy that can help it (and you!) to chill out.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.