Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » so confused

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: so confused
NervousWreck
Neophyte
Member # 95984

Icon 8 posted      Profile for NervousWreck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hello Scarleteen, i apologize in advance for the confusing scenario i am about to ask about but please bare with me! Im on my 2nd month of micronor and due to my hectic work schedule as of late, i have not been taking my pill as regularly as i should. The first month i took it perfectly but this past month has been pretty erratic. I took one pill 4 hours late and then when i called my pharmacist, i got the wrong advice to begin taking the pill an hour earlier each day to get back to the original time. So for example, i started taking the pill at 12 everyday and took it at 4 one day so the next day i would take it at 3 then 2 then 1 and so on. Well i was late taking the pill more often than not this month and by following this advice, i had no structure whatsoever and got my period for 3 days, stopped for 4 and was followed by 6 days of spotting. I found out last Saturday that i should have taken it at 12 the mext day regardless and am now back on schedule. However, my pack says i should have gotten my period on Sunday and i have no signs whatsoever. Im wondering if this whole fiasco could cause my cycle to begin the 28 days over again since i began taking it normally or if my period will just be late.. sorry for the confusing topic. :/ i have had a couple of pregnancy risks within the month (at least i think they might be..) so im a little worried my period isnt here yet.. thank you for your time reading this anyways!
Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So just to clarify, you took the pill every day without skipping a day? And you took the pill between noon and 4pm every day? If so, your pill taking was not erratic at all. While a progesterone-only pill does not have as big a grace period as a combined pill, and you do have to take it within a three hour period every day, I don't hear you saying that you took it terribly far outside of that period. Unless I've missunderstood what you are saying?

Since this is only your second month on the pill, it is actually not that surprising that your bleed has not shown up. It can take around three months for your body to get used to hormonal birth control, and the most common side effect during that time is irregular bleeding.

If you want to rule out a pregnancy, you can always go ahead and take a pregnancy test.

Also, if you feel you struggle with taking the pill as directed, you can always talk to your doctor about switching to a different method, such as the contraceptive ring or the implant, which you do not need to remember every day.

[ 06-25-2014, 03:11 AM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
NervousWreck
Neophyte
Member # 95984

Icon 1 posted      Profile for NervousWreck     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Joanna. There was only one time i took it at 10pm and then the next day i took it 12pm back to normal. I was just worried that i dont have it yet because of pregnancy but after reading a few posts, i determined that dry humping with one layer of clothing between us, fingering with possible pre cum and him ejaculating on my stomach while in the shower probably would not have caused pregnancy.
I do have another question about the pill however; if in the future i miss a day completely, should i be taking 2 the next day or just one at my scheduled time the next day?
I would switch to something else but the main reason im taking the pill is not for contraception but for my extremely heavy flow and terrible cramping and migraines.

Posts: 27 | Registered: Jun 2012  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
You know, if having to remember something daily isn't working for you -- especially having to remember within a three-hour window as you do with minipills -- the Depo-Provera shot is also progestin-only, and can also be used by those with migraines. The Mirena IUD is as well, and it often particularly helps those with bad cramping, since it a) tends to make periods show up less often in the first place, and b) uses a hormone localized expressly to the uterus.

So, if you are finding the minipill is just not a good fit for you in terms of being unable to use it properly, those are two other options -- both more effective as BC, no less -- you could consider and talk to your healthcare provider about.

Should you ever miss a pill completely, what you want to do is take it as soon as you remember, and then take your pill scheduled for that day when you would normally take it. And yep, sometimes that means taking two pills in one day or at one time.

[ 06-25-2014, 10:39 AM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.