Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » some precum clarifications

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: some precum clarifications
ggg
Neophyte
Member # 50168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ggg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi,

I have done lots of reading but just don't trust most internet sources so I have a few questions:
- if my boyfriend urinates several times after an ejaculation and hasn't ejaculated in over 24 hours, will there be sperm in this precum
- is urine acidic enough to make sperm in the urethra viable?
- can sperm get trapped in the foreskin and survive? If so, could it last 24 hours or would it only be a few hours? I assume it would not be very long.

Thanks!

Posts: 7 | From: NL | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Urine will generally flush out any sperm that's hanging out in the urethra, yes. But we can never say for sure, 100%, that there will not be viable sperm that could potentially cause a pregnancy. Sperm outside the body on skin, even under a foreskin, will not be viable after a brief period of time, much shorter than an hour.

The key here, though, is not to worry so much about this, but to be aware of exactly what activities can and cannot cause a pregnancy, and making choices about sexual activity you want to engage in, and what if any precautions you need to take, based on those facts. If you need a refresher, you can look here: Can I Get Pregnant, or Get or Pass On an STI From That?

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ggg
Neophyte
Member # 50168

Icon 1 posted      Profile for ggg     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks for the link, it definitely helps.

One more question that I forgot to post,

- how long can sperm survive in the urethra?

I know urine will flush out most if not all or it, but say someone didn't urinate or did but it didn't get all of the sperm out, how long would it survive? Only a few hours?

Posts: 7 | From: NL | Registered: Nov 2010  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ggg
Neophyte
Member # 50168

I have tried to search this one up on my own but I just can't trust yahoo answers or the other sources
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think this next link might be very helpful for you:

Who's Afraid of Sperm Cells? [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
ggg
Neophyte
Member # 50168

Thanks, based on the link it says that the urethra is acidic, making me think sperm is not going to survive long.

But I also here sperm can survive in the vagina for a fairly long time, and the article does not say how long it can survive in the urethra. Are we talking a couple of hours, under 12? Some more specifics would be great!

ggg
Neophyte
Member # 50168

Also I am reading the wiki page on precum and it mentions a 2011 study that says that some men leak sperm into their precum, regardless of urination etc. Is this true? I have read several answers on scarleteen about precum and sperm and this study is never mentioned so I'm not sure what to think.
Karybu
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 20094

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Karybu     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Looking at the abstract of that study, their sample size was 27 men. That's not nearly enough to make any sort of generalization about, well, anything.

However, as Molias has already pointed out, rather than being concerned about how long sperm can survive in specific conditions or whether some men release sperm with pre-ejaculate, our advice is always going to be to assume that pre-ejaculate always contains sperm, and take the appropriate precautions. Since there's no way of knowing whether pre-ejaculate produced by a certain person in a certain instance contains sperm or not, the simplest thing to do, if you're concerned about preventing pregnancy, is to act as if it does and use a method (or methods) of birth control or avoid sexual activities that carry risks of pregnancy altogether.

[ 06-22-2014, 10:16 PM: Message edited by: Karybu ]

--------------------
"Another world is not only possible, she is on her way. On a quiet day, I can hear her breathing." -Arundhati Roy

Posts: 5799 | From: Canada/Australia | Registered: Sep 2004  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.