Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Oral Sex and STI's

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Oral Sex and STI's
Alice25
Neophyte
Member # 110548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay so now I'm a little worried about STI's. I stupidly gave oral sex (without using a condom) to a guy that I had only known for a little over two weeks. I did ask him about his sexual history and he told me that he had quite a few sexual partners, but that he always used a condom with every partner except for one because she didn't have any STI's. It sounds like he hadn't been tested in a while, but he told me if we were to have sex, he would get tested before that even happened. Things ended between us because he moved to another state so we never got that far because I refused to let it go that far without him getting tested. I know that STI's can be spread orally which is why I feel stupid for giving him oral without realizing that. I went and visited a nurse practitioner at the college I attend and asked her about it. She told me that I shouldn't worry too much. Even though STI's can be spread orally, there is a lower chance of receiving it orally than it is receiving it through intercourse. She also told me that getting an STI in the mouth has short term effects as opposed to receiving it through intercourse. I asked her if I needed to get tested for that and she said that it wasn't a pressing concern at the moment. So I forgot about it for awhile but then I started reading some information on the web and I got really freaked out. I am getting a physical done in a few weeks to run cross country in the fall, so I'll be tested then. But I am freaking out that I might have contracted an STI. I got tested last summer and I didn't have any. He is the only guy I have done anything sexual with since then and giving him oral is the only thing I did. Not only that but I only gave him oral one time. I honestly do trust what he said to me because he was very open with me about anything I asked him, but I'm still worried. So here is what I would like to know:

1. Is what the nurse practitioner told me accurate? That might sound silly because she is a nurse practitioner but I guess the fact that she told me it wasn't a concern was a little odd to me.

2. How high do you think my chances are of contracting an STD? Again, there was no intercourse. Only oral. I know it still presents a risk but I guess I just wanted an opinion.

I looked through quite a few threads, but I didn't see anything that was quite similar to my situation. After all of this, I am definitely going to remember to use condoms for oral sex. Any feedback in the meantime would be great though. Thanks!

Posts: 5 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice25
Neophyte
Member # 110548

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Alice25     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi again. I don't mean to be a bother or impatient, but I haven't gotten any feedback yet, however, I have noticed that threads above me have been answered. Just wondering if you missed my post. Thanks!
Posts: 5 | From: United States | Registered: Jun 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Alice,

In terms of what your nurse practitioner said, I'm honestly not sure why she said that - oral sex definitely is a way STIs can be transmitted, and the infections that can be transmitted that way aren't just harmless things! Not everything can be tested for, but it's good practice for people to have STI screenings at least once a year when they start becoming sexually active, so I would think she would have recommended one regardless of your partner's activity.

Because this guy mostly used condoms, I don't think your risk is super high in this situation, but because he didn't use them with every partner (and how did he know she didn't have any STIs? From testing, or from the same assumption he made about his own status when talking to you?) there certainly is a chance he had contracted an infection at some point.

We really can't say how likely it is that you contracted something, since oral sex is a fairly high-risk activity, but it all depends on whether someone has an STI to pass along in the first place! I would go ahead and ask for testing at your upcoming physical, and practice safer sex methods from here on out.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Alice25
Neophyte
Member # 110548

Okay! Thank you very much for the feedback! I've decided that I can't handle the stress of waiting until my physical which is in a month, so I'm going to make a call to my doctor on Monday and see if I can get an appointment set up for this week. I have another question that may or may not be related to this, but in a previous thread I was told that dry humping and fingering did not pose any pregnancy risks. Not to mention I did have a withdrawal bleed a week after I stopped fooling around with the guy and it was completely normal. I am on day three of the four inactive pills I take for birth control and I still don't have a period. All I get is this light brown discharge. So I went online looking up what could be the cause of it and I freaked out because a lot of the information said it could be a pregnancy. It also did say that it could be a symptom of an STI which I now know is possible in my situation. I have also been having my regular old minor cramping that I get when I am supposed to get my period (or withdrawal bleed), but no red blood, just this light colored discharge. I had this similar situation last summer where all I got was this brown discharge and no period. This was also when I was having sex so naturally I thought I might have been pregnant because my ex boyfriend and I had a condom break that occurred before I didn't get my period. Turns out I was not pregnant and my doctor prescribed me a different brand of birth control (I went from Lutera to Yaz) because she thought the Lutera was what made me have this lighter period and she told me that the brown discharge was just old blood. So I'm just wondering what your thoughts might be on that? Should I be even more concerned? I was already worried about STI's, but a no show of a period is also causing me to worry. Because of all of this, I've been stressing a lot too so I don't know if that might have anything to do with it. Any feedback might make me not freak out as much. Thanks!
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I am glad to hear that you are making an appointment to see your doctor. That's the best thing you can do right now, and while there you can also ask any questions you may have about this late period.

This article may also be helpful to you: You're Not Pregnant. Why Do You think You Are?

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.