Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » HCG too high for a pregnancy test?

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: HCG too high for a pregnancy test?
curiouschick1990
Neophyte
Member # 109999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curiouschick1990     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi !

Curious question - is there such a thing as having too much HCG in your urine to test positive if actually pregnant ?

As in - can you test negative on a test if you are actually pregnant but just too far along and HCG is too high?

Posts: 30 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Edith_*
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 107716

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Edith_*     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Pregnancy tests are designed to read the HCG hormone, so if and when pregnancy happens and this hormone is present in the body (blood and urine) the test would be positive, no matter how far along the pregnant person is. Being 8 weeks or 8 months pregnant, is still being pregnant. [Smile]

--------------------
"Whatever you do will be insignificant, but it's very important that you do it " (...'cause no one else will) -Gandhi-

Posts: 420 | From: Somewhere over the rainbow* | Registered: Jun 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curiouschick1990
Neophyte
Member # 109999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curiouschick1990     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks so much !! I was being silly and I saw some people saying that they were like 6 months pregnant and took a test and it was negative and that pregnancy tests don't detect the hcg level if you're too far along cause it's too high. But I know it's not a reliable source and really anyone can say anything they want. I dunno.

I've tested 7 times at 7 and 8 weeks after the risk and have gotten negatives to all ! So I know I can safely say I'm not pregnant !

Posts: 30 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
People really can say anything they want, because I assure you, that is absolutely not factual.

It seems like you've been carrying concern about pregnancy for a while now, and concern when there wasn't a risk in the first place, no less. That really can't be comfortable or pleasant. Is there any way we can help you to not carry around these worries so much? Sometimes, identifying why someone feels so concerned can really help them either let it go or figure out what they might do next or in the future so they can stop feeling so concerned. We'd be really happy to talk with you about anything you think might be driving this concern, or anything you think you need to do to manage or move away from it.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.