Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Pregnancy Test - need help

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Pregnancy Test - need help
curiouschick1990
Neophyte
Member # 109999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curiouschick1990     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Scarleteen !

I get a bit confused when I read the instructions on a pregnancy test box. They say that it can be taken 10 days after conception or a few days before a missed period.

You guys say we should wait 14 days of more from the sexual activity. Is that the same thing ?

I have not missed a bleed and am on the pill so my next withdrawal bleed is expected in 2 and a half weeks. It's been 7 weeks since the activity I'm concerned about but I'm really just taking the test for peace of mind to ease my anxiety.

Would it be okay to take now ? I just need some clarification ! Thanks heaps x

Posts: 30 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Since it's been 7 weeks since the activity you're concerned about, you're well into the territory when a test would be accurate.
Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curiouschick1990
Neophyte
Member # 109999

Icon 1 posted      Profile for curiouschick1990     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Thanks Molias !

Just wondering - if for example the risk happened just yesterday, would I then wait 2 weeks/14 days for it to be accurate ?

Thanks,

Posts: 30 | From: Australia | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Molias
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 101745

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Molias     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yeah! The 14 day count starts from the risk activity.
We give the 14-day number in our article because that's when most tests are accurate but it's always good to read the specific instructions for each test because they can vary.

I'm not sure why your instructions have you count from conception, since that's not something most people know! If implantation of a fertilized egg does happen, it's not generally on the exact day when intercourse (or whatever other pregnancy-risk sexual activity) occurred. So maybe the instructions are factoring in ~4 days for implantation to happen? I'm not quite sure.

Posts: 1352 | From: San Francisco | Registered: Jan 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
curiouschick1990
Neophyte
Member # 109999

Yeah it's really weird. Almost every test states "X number of days after conception" -- at first I thought that maybe they classify conception as day of sexual activity but that didn't make sense as conception is when the embryo implants, is that right? They also say that the test can be taken a few days before a period is due. But I'm on the pill, so I don't even get my period I get my withdrawal bleed and I have gotten two bleeds since the activity I'm concerned about. As I said - my next bleed is due in 2 and a half weeks. My partner and I participated in some non-risk activity yesterday. But nothing I think should cause pregnancy.

So strange. I'm assuming that now it's been 7 weeks, it's more than safe to take a test and it would definitely show up positive if I got pregnant from my activity 7 weeks ago right?

In regards to my activity yesterday -- I guess I should just wait for my bleed.

Just to clarify - withdrawal bleeding on the pill does not happen if pregnancy has occurred right ? Even if the bleed happened only 4 days after sexual activity ?

Just trying to clarify my understanding about withdrawal bleeds/periods
1. If I get a withdrawal bleed only a few days after sexual activity, any egg (if there even was one) fertilized or not would have no where to implant so the egg would be flushed out with my bleed ?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Yes, if you take a test now, it would pick up on a pregnancy from the acrivity 7 weeks ago.

As for the activity yesterday - you stated yourself that it was not an activity that poses a pregnancy risk. Too, since you are on the pill, if you are taking it as directed you really don't need to be worrying about pregnancy. When you are on the pill, unless you know you've had a pill failure (been missing pills, taking medication that can interfere with the protection, etc) or you've missed a withdrawal bleed, there is really no need to worry about pregnancy.

And yes: if you were pregnant you would miss your withdrawal bleed, just like you would miss a period. If you get your withdrawal bleed, that means you are not pregnant.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.