Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Taking a month off birth control pills

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Taking a month off birth control pills
zaphod42
Neophyte
Member # 110278

Icon 1 posted      Profile for zaphod42     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I have been taking birth control pills with no issues for about a year now. However, I'm going away for a full month and thus won't need any birth control at all. I am wondering if you'd advice me to take a month off or continue taking pills when I'm away.
Things I'm interested in:
Medical/health advantages/disadvantages
Breakthrough bleeding
If I take a month off, how should I do it, when to start using condoms as well, when should I start again (after four weeks or any time I want?)
If I continue with the use, could I transfer from perfect use (same minute every day) to average use ( whenever I wake up)? If I wont have any sexual activity, then start a new pill pack with perfect use, will the efficacy be the same even if I wasn't perfect on the previous pack?
thank you so much for your answer [Smile] )

Posts: 1 | Registered: May 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
We would advise you to continue to take the pill as directed. It can take around a few months for the body to get used to being off the pill, and that long again to get used to taking the pill, and there is just no point in putting your body through that for just one month off the pill.

You actually have a three hour window in which you can take the pill, you do not need to take it at the same time on the minute. So, taking it whenever you wake up should really be fine and not change anything about your level of protection.

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.