Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Ovulation spotting

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Ovulation spotting
Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juliadawson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi so I sometimes notice a light spotting once a day for two or three days when I'm in the midle of my cycle, which comes with very light breast soreness and very light bloating. I believe it has happened more than once but I only started really paying attention to that in the last couple of months. I searched the website for an article on ovulation spotting but didn't find any... If you do have one can you link me to it? Also a couple of questions:
1) Can spotting happen because or during ovulation? If so, why?
2) Is it common?
Thanks

[ 05-05-2014, 03:27 PM: Message edited by: Juliadawson ]

Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Executive Director & Founder
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
There's not a whole article on it, because there's really very little to say! [Smile]

Middleschmerz -- which is the term for spotting with ovulation -- doesn't happen to everyone, or always happen, but it does happen for some people sometimes. Some people can also experience other symptoms with ovulation, but none of this is anything to worry about, just the body reacting to the hormonal changes that occur at and around that time, and to the ovary releasing the ovum (that spotting is due to that: the ovum really does burst -- pop! -- from the ovary, and there are a lot of blood vessels in that area, so now and then it can cause a little light bleeding).

[ 05-05-2014, 03:42 PM: Message edited by: Heather ]

--------------------
Heather Corinna, Executive Director & Founder, Scarleteen
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Juliadawson     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Okay, I think I get it! Thanks a lot
Posts: 21 | Registered: Mar 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

Just read about decidual bleeding here and I'm a bit confused because I read two conflicting statemets.
From what I've been able to gather decidual bleeding is quite rare, and that if a woman doesn't know she is pregnant it can seem like a period. I also read here that it's way lighter than a period.
So can it be confused with a period or not?
My periods normally last for about 4 days normal flow + 2 or 3 with lighter flow, if decidual bleeding happened would it last that much?

September
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 25425

Icon 1 posted      Profile for September     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
I think you may be confusing decidual bleeding with implantation bleeding?

We know that some women experience implantation bleeding (when a fertilized egg implants in the uterus), and that this bleeding, when it happens, is typically very light and only lasts around a day or so.

Decidual bleeding is bleeding that may occur during a pregnancy. This could in theory resemble period bleeding, but that would be a very unlikely coincidence.

[ 05-12-2014, 01:39 PM: Message edited by: September ]

--------------------
Johanna
Scarleteen Volunteer

"The question is not who will let me, but who is going to stop me." -Ayn Rand

Posts: 9192 | From: Cologne, Germany | Registered: Sep 2005  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Heather
Member # 3

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Heather     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Also? Per usual, bleeding with a pregnancy can't happen when someone isn't pregnant, and the only sound way to find out if you are pregnant is to take a pregnancy test or have one administered by a healthcare provider.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!
Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world. Indeed, it is the only thing that ever has. - Margaret Mead

Posts: 68290 | From: An island near Seattle | Registered: May 2000  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

I'm pretty sure I'm not pregnant since I've never had intercourse, but it's just that the fact that some women don't know they're pregnant for so long and confusing pregnancy signs leave me really worried, since I'm planning on becoming sexually active soon. So I just wanted all the answers before, just to be sure about everything. Thanks for all the help!
Heather
Member # 3

That "some" really needs to be edited to "that rare few."

And when we are talking people who do not know for months? Those are usually very specific populations, like people with dissociative mental illnesses, people in the midst of very serious trauma, like domestic violence, people with hardcore addictions, etc. That is not most people: it is very few people. Even most people in those groups will not go months into a pregnancy without knowing or suspecting.

--------------------
About Me Get our book!

Juliadawson
Neophyte
Member # 109825

This is really reassuring, I'll keep it in mind [Smile]

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.