Donate Now

my profile | directory login | search | faq | forum home

next oldest topic   next newest topic
» Scarleteen Boards: 2000 - 2014 (Archive) » EXPERT ADVICE » Ask Scarleteen » Curious

- UBBFriend: Email this page to someone!    
Author Topic: Curious
CuriousCole
Neophyte
Member # 109973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CuriousCole     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Is it possible to have sex 2 days before a period, receive the period and still be pregnant? If so how is this possible?
Posts: 8 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Sam W
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 108189

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Sam W     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Hi Cole,

So, the situation you described is not impossible, but it is very, very, very unlikely. To quote Heather from one of our articles:
" because a period has you shedding the lining needed for a fertilized egg to implant in, and because around the time a period starts, there usually is not an egg available to be fertilized, it would be very unusual to become pregnant with timing like this. When you get your period after a risk -- so long as it comes around the time you expected it and looks and feels like your usual period -- it's usually safe to assume pregnancy did not or is not going to occur from that risk."

Posts: 1292 | Registered: Aug 2013  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CuriousCole
Neophyte
Member # 109973

Icon 1 posted      Profile for CuriousCole     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
So in the case of a short luteal phase defect and an egg being there 2 days before and being fertilized how would the egg survive the bleeding ?
Posts: 8 | From: United States | Registered: Apr 2014  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
If an egg gets fertilised, that happens in a fallopian tube. The fertilised egg then has to make its way through the rest of the tube, into the uterus and attach to the uterus wall. That whole process can take a week or more, and it's in that time that it's technically possible, while very unlikely, to have had the sex that results in pregnancy and then have a period.

Pregnancy only begins when the egg attaches to the uterus wall, so in this unlikely instance, it's still true that someone can't have a period and be pregnant.

This whole scenario is very unlikely because it's just not how the menstrual cycle works. The different hormones involved in the cycle all affect each other and control different parts of the cycle, and it's very unlikely that anyone would ovulate and then begin a period so close together because the different hormones needed don't mesh that way.

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CuriousCole
Neophyte
Member # 109973

So it's rare but is possible for the fertilized egg to survive by staying in the Fallopian tubes while bleeding?
Redskies
Scarleteen Volunteer
Member # 79774

Icon 1 posted      Profile for Redskies     Send New Private Message       Edit/Delete Post 
Really, everything in the menstrual cycle is against pregnancy happening in those circumstances. For a pregnancy to occur, there would have to be some uterus lining already there for a fertilised egg to implant into, and right after a period, it's just not there. That's on top of it being extremely unlikely in the first place for someone to ovulate that close to a period. Luteal phases just don't come that short, really. A short luteal phase is anything less than 10 days: even 8 or 9 day luteal phases are strongly associated with someone having difficulty sustaining a (wanted, planned) pregnancy. The hormones just don't work out that way. So, you're seeing how wildly unlikely it is for someone to actually become pregnant in the scenario you're asking about?

Are you asking about this because you're concerned about this scenario in your life?

[ 04-24-2014, 08:59 PM: Message edited by: Redskies ]

--------------------
The kyriarchy usually assumes that I am the kind of woman of whom it would approve. I have a peculiar kind of fun showing it just how much I am not.

Posts: 1786 | From: Europe | Registered: Sep 2011  |  IP: Logged | Report this post to a Moderator
CuriousCole
Neophyte
Member # 109973

No I was just curious because I had seen this on other sites and was just wondering if it is possible or not

Close Topic   Feature Topic   Move Topic   Delete Topic next oldest topic   next newest topic
 - Printer-friendly view of this topic
Hop To:

Contact Us | Get the Whole Story! Go Home to SCARLETEEN: Sex Ed for the Real World | Privacy Statement

Copyright 1998, 2014 Heather Corinna/Scarleteen
Scarleteen.com: Providing comprehensive sex education online to teens and young adults worldwide since 1998

Information on this site is provided for educational purposes. It is not meant to and cannot substitute for advice or care provided by an in-person medical professional. The information contained herein is not meant to be used to diagnose or treat a health problem or disease, or for prescribing any medication. You should always consult your own healthcare provider if you have a health problem or medical condition.